Splitting spills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok this may seam obvious but whats the best way to make spills? (the flat sort for making sulphur matches rather than the curled ones from a plane) I need to make some of certain sizes and quite thin, like less than match thick.

Are any particular woods especially good for it?

I've some thin replaceable scraper blades which I was going to fit between a couple of Xacto knife handles to make a very thin short draw knife.

Any pointers?

Cheers

Tom

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
western red cedar should split very nicely other than that i have no idea of a reasonable method of splitting

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My grandfather made spills and spunks for lighting the fire and the cooker.
He used pine. He just cut it into thin rectangles (like kindling) with an axe, crosscut, and then as neat as sixpence split it straight down the growth rings. He trimmed them up with the knife he used to scrape out and tamp down his pipe. One blade on it was wickedly sharp.

I remember him telling my brother never to light his pipe with a spunk :D

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Poplar or pine and split it down the growth rings eh?

Cheers folks!

I better get my battered old Estwing No. 4 on my shiny new Tormek 7 (yes the novelty hasn't worn off, I'm still putting unsuitable razor edges on anything I can find ) to do the rough work and I've a army jack knife thats great for splitting...

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know Ash would split beautifully, and fine too. It has the reputation of being among the best to burn.

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ash you say?, it just happens that I have a lot of ash logs (rotting away no doubt it being ash) out back from when the council chopped up the tree that narrowly missed our house and flattened next doors new Ka.

I could have cried as while I was at work they chopped the whole thing into handy sized slices and the rot only went up about 8 feet! It was 160 yrs old the reckoned.

Cheers!

ATB

Tom

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
The easiest wood would be pine, nice straight grain stuff, no knots, recycled stuff is easy to get hold of.

The most important thing to remember when splitting is to split in half, split that half in half etc etc. The aim is to get an equal mass of wood each side of the split each time.

Cut into the right length before splitting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE