splitting, chopping and weight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deMaccusweil

Aug 7, 2011
Berkshire
Hey guys,

I was wondering what people used for splitting and chopping wood when on an expo. There is a lot of talk about Swedish axes and hatchets, but I never got one due to the weight of it. What are peoples opinions of other options? Parangs, Goloks, Machetes, Khukris, etc. What is the most lightweight option and how does it perform compared to others? What is the best compromise? There are very small hatchets available, but with a short haft and lightweight head, is it just a waste of space? Give me some options guys!

I used to use a nepalese Khukri made from a landrover leafspring and fitted with a buffalo horn handle. My dad got it in the Himalayas sometime in the late sixties, early seventies (not sure) and I have never known a blade like it for edge retention, longevity and general functionality. Unfortunately someone stole it, and I need to find a replacement :(

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'm looking at a modified machete myself but the Khukri is probably the best all round option - it will depend however on what sort of material your planning to cut

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I don't do that kind of thing when I'm out and about camping so I don't take such tools with me. They're bulky and heavy and you can usually find smaller bits of wood anyway. If necessary you can make a wedge and use a rock to hammer it into a log to split it. If I'm at home or actually working in the woods (when I'll take loads of tools) I'll use whatever is most convenient at the time, I have all the tools you mention except the khukri, plus a few others. For general log spltting most often I'll use a long handled axe or a maul, but if I happen to have a heavy parang or machete in my hand I'll often use that rather than trudge somewhere to find another tool. People often talk about using a log to baton with a knife but the knives I mostly use are too small and fragile for such treatment and I really don't much like doing that with any knife. There's not a lot to choose in weight between some of the heavier parangs, machetes etc and a fair sized hatchet. Mine weigh anything from about one to two pounds, a felling axe is typically 4.5 pounds and a maul very similar although sometimes I use a 14lb sledge to hit it with. :)

Oh, and bad news about the theft. I hope the thief chops his fingers off with it.

Last edited:

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I never need to split much as I never go on sustained camps usually 3 or 4 days max, if I do need to split anything I use my bill hook or hatchet

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
GB Small Forest Axe, small enough to put in a pack, and they punch allot bigger than they look when you need them too...

i never leve home without it unless i know i wont need it.

regards.

chris.

deMaccusweil

Aug 7, 2011
Berkshire
Well, I just ordered a british army golok, since it only weighs in at 500 grams and has a thick spine I imagine it can be used safely for batoning or chopping light branches. I also wanted something for quickly gathering bramble or nettle near the base of the stalk without spending ages on my hands and knees :rolleyes:

It looks a bit commercial for my tastes, but I will give a review once it arrives.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I use a hatchet to split kindling. (fresh surfaces catch easier for me)

But on a long trip - a decent camp knife would suffice for splitting up to inch or so thickness kindling. Above that and it'll burn whole.

Andy

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well, I just ordered a british army golok, since it only weighs in at 500 grams and has a thick spine I imagine it can be used safely for batoning or chopping light branches...

I don't think you'll break it easily. :)

It looks a bit commercial for my tastes, but I will give a review once it arrives.

Give it some welly and then it won't look commercial (whatever that is:)) it will look USED. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE