How to pick the right machete?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Depends on the Golok ;)

10422047_1154514871230252_4352877190309071535_n.jpg

That's not going to be a cheap one is it?! Very nice though.

I'm a bit of a knife collector. I've got all sorts here. My first was a swiss army replica that my neighbour bought me when I was six. I've probably had thousands since then! My most used knife was a Tramontina bowie with a 7"ish blade. I carried that right through from my early teens until I left school and work left me with less energy to get out playing in the woods. They all sit in a drawer now and I pick one when I decide to go out for a wander.

I think as the machete isn't ideal in any form, I'm going to buy one of the Condor models. I like the idea of a nice sheath that I don't have to buy separately. I might get a Martindale billhook whilst I'm at it - it's only £30ish

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
i have used long handle slashers for many year and still use them for quick job instead of a strimmer. they are reasonably safe as well due to the long handle which is worth considering if your going to be working alone. also a yorkshire billhook is a great all rounder definitely my favorite billhook.

ian

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
i have used long handle slashers for many year and still use them for quick job instead of a strimmer. they are reasonably safe as well due to the long handle which is worth considering if your going to be working alone. also a yorkshire billhook is a great all rounder definitely my favorite billhook.

ian

I have no experience of long handle slashers but I reckon they would do the job. The reason I use a machete (and a pair of long handled loppers) to deal with brambles is that I do not have thornproof arms or a gauntlet of knightly proportions and strength. I have gone through a number of machetes, being as for some reason they are the first tool in the shed that gets nicked. Basically I use them as a long reach bill hook, sharpened on the inside curve.

Oct 21, 2005
Stoke st micheal
Jungle Khukri all the way do every thing you need and more, plus carry options, shoulder, across your back or down your leg.
Cutting brambles you should go at the base using a good stick or gloved hand, flailing at the top whippy branches will get you cut to ribbons.

Martin

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Typical me - always slow carrying out my ideas. I was back clearing the same trails a couple of weeks ago and the thought process started all over again. The technique on the day was a big Stihl strimmer with a shredder knife to destroy the bulk of it, and following up with a Silverline (sorry!) machete for the bits that were hanging from the trees.

It wasn't my machete. The steel in it is rubbish (they should have bought a Tramontina for similar money!) but it worked very well so I ordered an 18" stainless Condor El Salvador. It arrived today. Very nice it is too. And top marks to Haynes. They had it with me the next day.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Ah, I have to say for a machete machete, I.e. Long and thin then condor are hard to beat, very good tools, well the carbon ones are, maybe the stainless are too, no experience, for thicker stuff though I find a golok to be the bees knees, I have a martindale no 4 and its ********, it can be made into a ok tool but the steel and heat treatment seem to be poo, I lend it out happily to mates clearing gorse, if it comes back I resharpen it and hang it back up, if it does not I won't shed a tear...I never lend my Svord Golok though, that thing is amazing, it takes out anything, never needs sharpening even after chopping hardwood, just a strop and its hair shaving sharp once more, could be the L6, could be the convex grind, could be something else but I love it, sheath could be better, but the blade is a great tool!

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
For bramble then its a long shaft Bllhook slasher, Dunse, Ditch hook, like this:
http://bulldoghandtools.co.uk/premier-dunse-slasher.html

I use a heavy duty strimmer with steel blade; petrol hedge trimmer, long handled slasher, Silky Saw, and my Skrama. Tough gloves too. A long Tramotina aren't too bad. Cut to the base of the bramble, though you will hit rock so its thick edge and weight that is the order of the day as that will take the punishment. Anything too fine will get chipped. Pruners work but it takes time. Cut into small sections if moving far, or leave in place and burn as a pile. To carry a large pile to a burn site then a good digging fork will pick up the lot in one go (leave for a couple of days to sag and then pick up with the fork; bit like a pitchfork. Anyhow you can pick up a huge pile in one go).
Bramble week killer works if done in spring... kill it before it gets big.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My favorite machetes are Collins (older ones) and Tramontina.

My favorite ways to clear briers, brambles, and underbrush are controlled burning and/or poisoning.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am not sure if I would chose a machete for brambles, I would choose one of those cutters with movable secateurs jaws on a pole, operated with a line.

I have it easy to get a Machete, I just walk into a hardware store, and choose between a cheapo one with a plastic handle or one costing a couple of dollars more with a wooden handle.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Understory plants in the tropics grow so fast, they are NOT woody. More like chopping celery. Machete is the best tool for clearing a path.
In the temperate zone, the shrubby stuff is woody. Leave the machete at home. Billhook, some sorts of scissors-type cutters will be far faster.

I've you have lots of land to clear, use a forestry brush mower. Here, they smash and mow down anything 2" and smaller along all the highways.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE