spitewinter june 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
hi all, just to let you know, the site's http://chesterfielddistrictscouts.org.uk/?page_id=16 booked for friday june 11th - sunday june 13th.

the booking lady said that we were one of the best groups they've had on the site for a long timegoodjob, let's keep it that way.

Please take the time to read this post even if you’ve read the identical looking post in the rough close thread, this post has a few small but important differences, thanks.

This is a child friendly site and your youngsters are welcome – unfortunately dogs aren’t.

Firearms (including air rifles, bows, catapults and anything else that fires a projectile) are prohibited at all times. If you turn up on site with any of the aforementioned you will be asked to leave.

Site fees are £2.50 per person per night - Important! - please note that any monies given (by individuals, groups, families etc) which are above the camping fees will be automatically considered to be a donation to Spitewinter campsite to aid with site maintenance, site regeneration etc.

There are good toilet facilities including showers, the showers take a token (50pence for about three minutes iirc) so if anyone feels the need to wash over the course of the meet it would be best if you could let me know beforehand so that I can make sure that I get enough tokens in advance.

Following on from the ’Leave no Trace’ thread and to try to pre-empt possible problems:

Forum members are responsible for themselves, the kit they use and their own actions at a Meet – if you bring along family (or a friend) then you also accept responsibility for them and their actions whilst they are on site.

Forum members under the age of 18 are welcome. However, they must be accompanied by at least one parent (or legal guardian).

You brought it in, you take it out – camping fees do not include a rubbish collection fee! The sites bins are the wheelie bins by the main entrance.

Fees must be paid. It’s rare, but sometimes people forget.

Responsible drinking of alcohol is ok – drugs are prohibited!

‘Appropriate’ behaviour: The site can, at any time, decline a booking – they can also ask* us (individually or wholly) to leave during the Meet. Be aware that the sight is surrounded by private farmland the owners of which are very aware of what’s happening on the campsite (there have been problems in the past with site users trespassing/vandalising farm land/buildings) and who do report back to the site owners regularly.

* i.e. Tell. The site is registered as educational land, there is neither a choice nor an ability to negotiate. Fees would still be owed!

Dropping kit off/parking – vehicular access is limited to a small car park by the entrance to the site – so you can’t pull right up to your pitch. Fortunately the site is only small so even if you wanted to pitch in the furthest corners from the car park you’d still only have 100yards at most to carry your kit. If anyone has concerns regarding the security of their vehicles I’m pretty sure that an arrangement could be made to lock the main gate overnight.

Fires – ground fires are not allowed – plain and simple, anyone found to be lighting ground fires will be asked to leave the site immediately. There are approximately 20 specific fire areas with raised concrete plinths spread around the site, these can be used for cooking fires, there is also a campfire circle in an amphitheatre kind of area, No cooking is allowed in the campfire circle. Some firewood is provided by the site but quantity and quality of wood is very variable, bringing your own fuel may be a good idea if you plan on cooking a lot.

Food - Unless organised prior to the Meet, you need to bring enough food to feed yourself while you are at the Meet.
Accidents do happen and people will try to help out where they can - If you are visiting someone elses pitch do not expect to be fed.

Use the appropriate tools at the appropriate times - mixing axes and low light levels is not a particularly wise move – chainsaws are prohibited at all times.

It would be wise to be carrying a torch before it gets dark! It could also be provident to put markers on your shelter so you can find it in the dark.

The pitch is suitable for using tents, hammocks and bivvies - use what you have and are comfortable using.

If you stick your name down and can no longer make it, please say so.

In the highly unlikely event that I need this ... I reserve the right to stop any individual(s) from attending a Meet.

Old hands

I’ve decided to adopt the idea of having “old hands” from rough close.

The idea is to improve and increase the chance of finding someone who can point you in the right direction. The right direction might be pointing you towards the water tap or toilets, to let you know that there may have been a better time to do what you're doing, taking camping fees if I'm not available etc.

The regulars who accept this role are doing so voluntarily and will make the choice to do so Meet by Meet. To aid identification, those regulars who have volunteered for the role at any particular Meet will have the title 'Old Hand' after their screen name in the Meet list for that Meet. The Old hands are also there to help me make sure that our reputation with Spitewinter remains as high as it is now - In effect the Old Hands will be Meet Mods.

The 'Touchy Subject' bit:

Because the site is, first and foremost, a Scout camp site, the only people we can't accommodate are those who would, purposely or otherwise, do harm to others. Primarily, this means that if you would be found unfit to adopt or foster a child then you can’t come along – same goes for anyone knowingly under investigation or having had an allegation made against them and is awaiting investigation.

It's fine if you want to:

be on your own
lay on your back looking at the sky, clouds, birds flying over etc.
whittle
practice 'stuff' - except tree felling; the site has strong opinions about that
practice flora and fauna i.d
so on and so forth ...

This is, in no way, a bushcraft course and it's for you to make of it what you will.

Many thanks to Decorum for allowing me to re-cycle his work, it saved me much thought!:You_Rock_

I’ve decided to limit the numbers at this meet to 20. This is mainly because the first meet was pretty small and worked really well, it’s not a massive site to be honest.

Cheers

Stuart

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
shaggystu
nolightweight TBC
MartinK9 (old hand)
Twodogs (old hand)
Cliv (old hand)

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Could I add myself to the list please

shaggystu
nolightweight TBC
MartinK9 (old hand)
Twodogs (old hand)
Cliv (old hand)
Elines (not an old hand but willing to help out if i can)

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
shaggystu
nolightweight TBC
MartinK9 (old hand)
Twodogs (old hand)
Cliv (old hand)
TinkyPete (TBC)
Muddy Boots

Gonna add meself to this one as long as no-one minds.

If plans change I'll take myself out. :togo:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I've added my name, hope you don't mind, if you do i won't come,lol

shaggystu
nolightweight TBC
MartinK9 (old hand)
Twodogs (old hand)
Cliv (old hand)
TinkyPete (TBC)
Muddy Boots
Andy2112

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Sorry chaps I need to drop out of this one as the Cosford air show is on that weekend and I have tickets ,

shaggystu
nolightweight TBC
MartinK9 (old hand)
Cliv (old hand)
TinkyPete (TBC)
Muddy Boots
Andy2112

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE