Spinning for sea trout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I'm out and about on Friday to try my hand a spinning for sea trout in Strangford Lough, i've been told they are running now and been shown an excelent spot that produced a couple last weekend ( alegedly )

got the rod and reel etc and a selection of spinners but never tried this before ( done spinning for years though, pike, perch, mackys etc ) is there anything special about sea trout spinning ?

anyne got recommendations for spinners etc ?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Abu Krill... And tidal rifts seem to hold them.

My father used to pick up some crackers in scotland with long casts and gentle retrieves off a shingle peninsular into deep water- on the ebb.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
OK.......i've been told to fish a rising tide with a "flying C" and the place i was shown was a race between two islands that is only about 30 yards wide, aparently the trout come through with the tide and it's only shallow.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Its all possible... half the fun of fishing!
You already seem to know the answer to your question though :)

I know flying 'c's are good for bass, so why not.

You would be better casting against the tide, normally to keep a little tension on the line...

Last edited:

Injati

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2004
Schleswig-Holstein
We normally fish in Denmark, on the Baltic Sea side. When spinning for sea trout it's always one of two ways: with lures like the Hansen Flash, Fight, Flight etc. or using flies and a spirolino. Always great fun and very enjoyable. We actually went last weekend for a couple of days, but only caught some at the put-and-take, none whilst wading close to the beach, apparently the water was too cold. I wouldn't know since I don't rate myself as a decent angler. But still great fun.

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
look for any spots where the tide is causing eddies, behind and to the sides of rocks, fallen trees, on the sides of banks. spin round here, casting your spinner past it and reeling it past. fish will often hang here for a bit or R&R.

redsalmon

Jun 12, 2010
divot
aye, spinning for seatrout is class crack ... for me it's a mepps no1 or 2 that does the damage, spun fast downstream with the current ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE