Spider ID please. Strange looking beast. Harvestman calling..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi,

Found at the edge of Farmland, never seen awt like it being smooth and almost aquatic looking.

2014-05-27%2020.56.26_zpsxfihzymc.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep, woodlouse spider! Saw one this morning too.

If you get a chance, flip it over and look at its teeth! I think they may be the largest fangs on any native spider here. Seriously big compared to its size, perfect for drilling in to a woodlouse's back!

They're pretty icky, deffinately wouldn't touch one.. Ugh!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
What Samon said, it's a woodlouse spider, get them all the time round here, deffo a gardeners friend

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ehm, do they live up here too ?
I'm pretty much not frightened of spiders at all, but I don't fancy the look of those biting bits.

M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No need for me to do anything here, except say Woodlouse spider as above, Dysdera, probably D. crocata, possibly D. erythrina (although that's a bit smaller and a bit more southern). One of a few dozen UK species capable of piercing human skin, and probably the species most likely to do so, as it can be quite aggressive if it feels threatened. I have seen one put its fangs into a wooden pencil that was poked towards it. Not dangerous unless you happen to be allergic (just like everything else really) but I'm more reluctant to handle these than just about an other UK species. Those are armour-piercing fangs!

Very good for the garden if you have a woodlouse problem though. :D

Yes, Mary, they occur in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm feeling rather relieved that generally we don't have a problem with slaters, and that I've never seen one of those spiders either :)
I'm hoping that continues :D knowing my blooming luck I'd be allergic to their bite too :rolleyes:

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't kill spiders, I just throw them back outside :)

Gave the postie a fright last week though :D
He came to the door just as I opened it to throw out a spider. He went to hand me a pile of mail when I opened my hand and said, "Wait a moment, I need to get rid of this", and he squawked like a wee girl :D :D
Guess he doesn't like spiders ?

atb,
M

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I don't kill spiders, I just throw them back outside :)

Gave the postie a fright last week though :D
He came to the door just as I opened it to throw out a spider. He went to hand me a pile of mail when I opened my hand and said, "Wait a moment, I need to get rid of this", and he squawked like a wee girl :D :D
Guess he doesn't like spiders ?

atb,
M

throwing spiders outside? Not good for them....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-19962187. :cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tough ! either it's out or it's dead. I really don't like insects in the house. Spiders are messy blooming things. I think their webs increase any potential dampness too. I'm not for leaving them be indoors. They can make home in the sheds between sweep outs, but that's it.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a housewife; if there's an insect that I can see (and believe me I look, I detest hidden dirt) then it has two options. It's dead or it's out.

How the hang did they evolve anyway ? we've only lived in houses for a few thousand years here. They must have had some 'outdoor' living quarters.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE