Special moments

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
About 10 years ago I was driving back from Folkestone to Canterbury along the back road and suddenly in the headlamps a huge Owl dropped from the blackness, picked up something (presumably a small animal) off the road in front of me and flew back off into the darkness.
I pulled the car over to the roadside and my girlfriend an I sat in silence for about a minute letting the goosebumps subside and savouring the moment for what it was. I'd never seen an owl in the wild before and it was a spine tingling experience. Seen a couple over here in Normandy since, but that was the most spectacular. Sadly I found a dead barn own in the road last year, I don't know why seeing that should affect me more than a dead pigeon or some other bird but it did.

Real happy for you Mike, thanks for bringing back that memory of my own first time sighting.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good one Mike, they are magical to watch. I could count the number of times I've seen a barn owl on one hand, I see and hear lots of Tawnys, strangely not many this year yet though.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Good one Mike, they are magical to watch. I could count the number of times I've seen a barn owl on one hand, I see and hear lots of Tawnys, strangely not many this year yet though.

I'm lucky, I see them regularly through summer and autumn on my way to and from work... But I never tire of them.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
They are wonderful. This guy was 6 feet away when i took the picture
6351104033_cb8ffdded5_b.jpg

Sadly, the owl subsequently came off worse in an encounter with a goshawk, so I have now are the memories and a few wing feathers.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Barn Owls are magnificent creatures.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area where there has been an active programme of landowners putting up boxes for them; the population of breeding pairs here is very healthy now.

That said, they need to learn not to fly into cars :(

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Seen them only twice. The first time it came from behind me as i left the woods entering a field. Gotta be honest and say I hit the deck! Was only a few feet above my head but completely silent, came as a right shock I tell ye but amazing all the same.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE