spear fhishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
4 spiked thing is called a frog gig - not sure of the legality of using one in the UK - cant seem to get them so I'm guessing there's issues

Inusuit

Dec 30, 2009
Wyoming, USA
http://www.selljersey.co.uk/im/image7_5.jpg
those designs work well, but so do just a sharpened stick with a barb cut into it.
there was also a 4 spiked thing that looked really good and im yet to find it.
just do a google search for making a fishing spear.

Have you tried the sharpened stick thing? My first time bow fishing (hunting bow set up with a line, reel, and harpoon type arrowhead), I lost my arrow and tried to use a sharpened wooden one with a notch barb. I hit a large carp dead on broadside from about 10 feet and the wooden arrow bounced back over my head. Maybe works on smaller, softer fish.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
no, just from what i have seen. how sharpened was it? it seems surprising it didn't wound it at all, but i suppose they are very tough. also when using it as a spear in your hand you would have a lot more power.
how about a crossbow with a reel attached and the line tied to the bolt?

Inusuit

Dec 30, 2009
Wyoming, USA
Scorpio, it was as sharp as I could get it with a good knife. OTH, it was probably a cedar shaft. A harder wood sharpened and then fire hardened would no doubt work better.

My shot may have wounded the carp. He took off like a scalded cat so I have no idea if he was hurt at all. I've never used a cross bow, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. The purpose-built arrows we used with our hunting recurves were heavy, solid fiberglass with barbed points that either unscrewed or reversed to take the fish off the arrow. It was great fun. The problem was disposing of a lot of dead carp.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Just as a word of caution. I'm certain that spear fishing in fresh water is against the law in the UK.

I know that in many US states the carp is regarded as a pest fish, in fact there are places where it is illegal to return a caught carp to the water alive, but you get spotted spearing carp in the UK and not only will you very quickly find yourself dealing with the Law, you'll probably do so whilst being treated for the injuries incurred when the local anglers 'arrested' you.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i can only see it working at sea on flatfish and rays etc. while wading or possibly off a boat but i dont see how you could be accurate because things like mackerel are so fast and things like cod and pollack live far too deep.
it seems a shame that the carp that were caught weren't eaten.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
I've always wanted to have a go at this as well but never been sure of the legality of it either.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
lol! i had that idea yesterday when gardening but i thought it would be too heavy to use. it wouldn't work on non-flatfish species though would it?

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
Wading for flatties is certainly effective. Back in the day folk up here would either wade or drift on a boat in the shallows witha viewing box in the water to see where the flatties were.
Flounder and Turbot were the order of the day.

However if you're swimming you can't go wrong with a proper speargun. Coalfish, pollack and doggies abound.

In regards to a survival situation the sea requires a wetsuit for any length of time especially in the winter.
Spearfishing is illegal in any inland/freshwater waters within the uk.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Yes, they are considered a "rough" (read non-game) fish here. In some areas they grow very large. Since they are a scavenger fish, that reduced their desirability considerably. Although the Catfish, which is a scavenger as well is still considered desirable. The main complaint against the Carp here in the states is that it is filled with lots of little individual bones that make it a pain to eat.

I have known some people who pressure cook them and swear by them, but most anglers will not consider taking one home.

How do you clean them and how do you prepare them?

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have speared some fish using the frog gig that was mentioned in one of the posts above. Two observations that are critically important: Fish can accelerate from zero to gone in the blink of an eye -- take that into consideration when you make your move. The other thing; when you look at a fish setting motionless in the water, remember that little thing called "refraction." Due to the bending of the light when it strikes the water, the fish is not where he appears to be. The best aimed shot will be a complete miss, unless you understand this.

If I remember my 8th grade science correctly, the angle of refraction is dependent upon the location of you, the sun, and the fish. Perhaps someone on the site can give a more detailed explanation of this phenomena.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
"Light" moves a little slower through water than air. Water slow, aim low.
u14l1e9.gif

This link may be of possible interest:
http://www.old-picture.com/hunting-fishing-index-001.htm
Spear tips in the water, not launched from shore as above. :)

chuckle

Nov 29, 2006
grimsby
According to this guy i saw on tele the best way to spear fish is to free fall from an aeroplane land on the fish stunning it then bite its head off and eat the guts, cant for the life of me remember his name. Mear grylls i think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE