Sparsholt

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I've just been to the Sparsholt presentation and interview day. Sparsholt seems like a nice college and the lecturers are very knowledgeable. My individual interview went perfectly and I was offered an unconditional place on the Level 3 Diploma for Conservation and Wildlife Management, likely due to my grades but mostly my countryside experience and interest which, as the interviewer said, was clear to see. I particularly enjoyed the conversation I had with him on the Pleistocene, Mesolithic and the work being done at Abernethy no less! It shows one the value of volunteering and having a good reference in the industry. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually studied at Sparsholt here and if they have any stories.

Thanks.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Congratulations!!! My best mate is at Sparsholt and he's having the time on his life and it's opened up so many opportunities for him! It really does open doors and don't forget the importance of making contacts there! (It's not what you know...)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It shows how old I am
I did a YTS training scheme there - please someone else says they remember those!
I studied Gamekeeping.
2 months on site working at an estate and 1 month at Sparsholt. For a year
The hot chocolates in the canteen were excellent!

Last time I went to a Gamefair and saw the Sparsholt college stand one of my old lecturers was manning it - I didn't say hi. I was 20 years later and there's no way he'd remember me.

They gave me a good sound knowledge base on which to build real life experience which is all any college can do.

Best of luck

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Personally never attended Sparsholt but have worked with many who have over the years I was in forestry/estate work. Good place with a reputation to match. You should hopefully enjoy your time there and learn a great deal.
Wishing you all the best in your future studies.
GB.
And Buckshot, I too remember YTS schemes - but I'm an old fart too so no consolation there!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I used to work for the then FEFC and latterly the LSC funding bodies and worked with the college management to bring forward capital investment. Spent a good while at the college on and off and it was clear to see how well they approach everything. I would always talk to students and never had a bad word said. They were a beacon college which was not an easy award to gain. I would have no reservations about going there Taylor

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE