Hi from Norwich - and some advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 5, 2017
Norwich
Hi there, Hal here.

I am currently on a 6 month volunteer internship with suffolk wildlife trust woking 3 days a week, due to finish in a couple of months. I have really been chucked in at the deep end turning my hands to anything and everything, driving the trusts vehicles, tractors and trailers (still learning) fen management tasks, spider pool reconstruction using a softrak, fence repairs, boardwalk repairs, leading teams of volunteers and am continuing to learn I have also got my NPTC chainsaw maintenance, crosscutting and felling licence and have been doing a small amount of felling on silver birch and sallow but would like to gain more practical experience with this to gain more confidence, I am also more interested into entering more into the Arb and maintenance/horticulture side of things..

I have made a massive career change with my father dying and moving from working in hospitals, having a break down and taking a career break and realising that I have always wanted to work outdoors and work best practically with being hands on come rain or shine. I would like the opportunity to get a foot in the door, I am getting turned away from apprentice roles as I am seen to be overqualified have a level 6 qualification in a completely unrelated subject. I am enthusiastic and eager to learn and just want to build my knowledge and experience in general Arb/horticulture, maintenance and country side management.

Cut a long story short - I have a massive decision to make as I have just been to and interview with a local tree surgery and landscaping business that is in the process of growing run by father and son they want to take on someone with the prospect of career development and running the business with the son in a couple of years when the father retires they are offering it as an apprentice role with a level two Aboriculture qualification and are keen to take me on and feel it is a massive opportunity to be part of a successful business...

I am not sure what to do as it is an opportunity I feel I can't turn down, however, there are pros and cons - if I go for it I will learn the tools of the trade fast, get climbing qualifications with chainsaw and management prospects of being part of the business- cons I will be stuck there with no way to move on to do a countryside management course if I so wished to get into that line of work on estates and with wildlife trusts etc (but jobs in that sector are hard to come by)

I'm still building my hands on skills on the internship and leading teams of volunteers and doing various fen reserve tasks but not really learning the how and why of what I am doing (theory) -

I would love some advice because my brain is frazzled on what to do or what step to take being 28 with no money coming in and not getting any younger I feel inclined to take up the job....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hal

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum Hal :)

My take on your job opportunity is you're still very young compared to some folks like myself :rolleyes:

I'm 55 and am just starting out on my third new career. It's hard with a lot to learn but I'm enjoying it immensely so far and fingers crossed that'll continue.

If you do take the job with the tree surgeons you've got a lot of time to gain experience which can be transferred across and you can still continue with volunteering to keep your toe in the water.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Mesquite has nailed it here.
You're quite young and that sounds like a great opportunity and a nice family run business to be learning your craft with.

I'd snap his hand and take the job on in a heartbeat. 👍👍
Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh! And welcome to the forum 👍👍

passer

Jun 20, 2016
lancs
Hi Hal
Sounds like you've had a lot to cope with in your relatively young life. Decisions like this are always difficult, though often very personal.
As Mesquite suggests, time is on your side. A commitment, now doesn't mean forever.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Tony

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
Hello Hal, I'd treat this as fate - take the job and see where you end up. If you really wanted stability you could go back to your hospital job I guess for a while. Best to go for it while you can! Good luck whatever you decide to do 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 28, 2017
Norfolk
Hi Hal, another local here 😉👍

Have you checked out Easton College ?

I used to teach there and they do a lot of the courses you are interested in.
If it were me in your position, I'd be tempted to take the job and get some proper experience under your belt in the sector.
You don't know where that may lead in the future and any move into the countryside management side of things will only be helped by already working in the industry.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Dom

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Are you on Lopham Fen? The guy who runs that is OK (Big guy from Essex with beard, Richard?? IIRC). One of the few places to sell firewood correctly (by the cord) Alder coppice was looking sweet the last time I was up there
I'd take up their offer. They must have realised your a responsible grafter. They want to take you on, I'd go for it. Besides you never know what could or could not happen, circumstances and opportunities change. Sadly these days businesses come and go like a rash, Once you have the skill and experience its a solid basis for the future

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE