Ecology and Conservation (Journal)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hey THOaken I've just signed up for this course at hadlow, so looking forward to it can't wait to leave school now! Could you give me some info on the sort of things I should look at prior to the course. Just wanted to be a bit ahead and know what sorts of assignments I've got coming up?

Denny ��
Well, chances are the course content is going to be different than at Sparsholt, Denny. Are you going to be studying Conservation and Wildlife Management and at what level?

I've had a look on the Hadlow website for Level 3 Extended Diploma in Countryside Management (mines is called Conservation and Wildlife Management) and it looks fairly similar, with the notable exception that farm habitat management isn't included in year 1, but is in year 2 at Sparsholt. Not sure what age you are and if this is your first college experience, but my I'm going to guess 16 to 18, so I'd suggest just keeping your head down and don't pay any attention to the people who won't take the course seriously. Ask as many questions as possible of your lecturers and don't be afraid to ask. When I first started my course I felt I had a lot to prove in terms of my existing knowledge of ecology, and so I was constantly talking to the lecturers about these things and it seems to have worked out in my favour. Taking a genuine steps to show what you know and being open to discussion will show your lecturers that you're willing to learn. And that's the best thing. Another thing I'd do is try and talk to the older folks. Most of my colleagues are in their mid 30s to early 50s. The rest of them, the young ones, are falling by the way side. Basically, stick with the people who are interested and keen and you'll be in a much better learning environment.

From what I've written above you can see the sorts of stuff we do. Year 1 has been split into most of the primary habitats, such as woodland, heathland and grassland. The assignments usually follow a similar structure, that is one on ecology and then one on management, although there can be assignments on threats and legislation. A bit of advice... Try not to write too much. When I first started my course I was loosing sleep because I would be writing on average 8k words for each assignment. For one assignment, a healthland management plan, I wrote 25 pages. This shows the lecturers that you're interested in the subject, but it's best just to tone it down after a while and focus your count in a bit more so that your energy is spread out on various other bits of work.

All the best,

Taylor.

Edit: Also, I would highly suggest being as open to sharing what you know and to helping others as much as possible if you can. You can create a bit of a "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" sort of relationship. That way once you get to know your new colleagues you can circulate information and progress on the course will go a lot smoother as you're not just working by yourself. So yes, just try and build up a good rapport with people as you're going to be spending at least 2 years with them.

Just because I'm in a chirpy mood, here's that heathland management plan. Do your work to a high standard, but don't do this if you want to live! :)

rv8X3gB.png

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Quick update.

Coming to the end of the year. Only one large assignment left. Just completed a 21 page grassland management plan and today I got a D* (80/80) for an ancient woodland indicator plant ID test. Learnt 40 common and taxanomic names, and AWI statuses, albeit only tested on 20. Should be doing a butterfly transect fairly soon. Lecturer still hasn't put up photos of the revetment work at Chilbolton, but should be up in the next few days. Will soon be time to hand in survey portfolio, including Phase 1 habitat, BBS and simplified NVC.

Cheers.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Grassland survey no. 1 today. Amenity grassland, so not diverse but still a good couple of hours. Then went off to see some of the third year degree student's dissertation poster presentations as part of an initiative to get the younger students interested in higher education. Good stuff and very interesting hypotheses.

CV5UUE5.jpg

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Here are the photos. Practicals have been based at Chilbolton Cow Common. Last week we did riverbank revetment, and a pretty good job of it if I may say so.
3NjqVqn.jpg

84NGVYJ.jpg

zwSupGO.jpg

EgmWyol.jpg

And yesterday it was surfacing to replace the old and put in new culverts and generally neaten up the pathway.
Y7Kzf3A.jpg

WW2eTAx.jpg

bnmYEYy.jpg

DSRCjdq.jpg

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Just for the record, there a few more things I forgot to mention in the thread which happened over the last couple of weeks. Finished off our surveys and used the Modular Analysis of Vegetation Information System (MAVIS) software to roughly work out three grassland surveys. Very interesting. Compiled all my survey work in a portfolio and handed it in for grading. So yes, it's the end of the year and just waiting for the last few grades and expected to achieve target of Distinction Star (with possibly distinction in all assignments)

I had an interesting chat with lecturers about the degree course. Lots of good scientific statistical analysis and so forth. Sadly I have dyscalculia and really struggle with basic maths, so that's holding me back. I've postponed my maths exam until the (official) end of the year and I'll hopefully pass it. Assuming that's the case, I would still need to do a further level next year to qualify for the degree though.

Getting ready to go off to Meagaidh.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I forgot I made this thread.

Back for Year 2 in September with plenty of experience acquired over the summer and lots of new ecological knowledge absorbed. Looking forward to year 2 of ecology/conservation course units: Ecological concepts and applications, interpretation in the land based sector, deer management, greenwood crafts, chainsaw use, farm habitat management, urban habitat management, coastal habitat management, fresh water and wetland conservation and more work experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE