Sparrow Hawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The homba

Oct 7, 2006
Edinburgh
Hi all just thought i would share these came home from walking the dog to find this in the garden ,

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture012.jpg

thanks for looking Iain

The homba

Oct 7, 2006
Edinburgh
Yes it was a starling and was still alive when i took the picture , when i was walking back with the dog i notice all the birds at the back of the house were screeching and flying about the magpies were going mental so had a look to see what was going on and seen him/her so quickly grabed the camera and got a couple of shots .

cheers Iain

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Beautiful birds, never seen one take a bird, but my parents, who live in a town regularly see one taking birds like this. My mum feeds the garden birds daily and its as if the Sparrow Hawk knows where to get an easy meal

Dave

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi

We had a female Sparrowhawk take a woody a while ago, i took some pics but they were through a double glazed window in our conservatory, i could have done with a longer lens too for closer shots, these have been enlarged and cropped, hence they're grainy :(
PIC1.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic6.jpg

It took over an hour and a half to strip the pigeon and mostly consume it, it then got fed up with me watching and flew off with it's meal remnants..
Pic6.jpg

It was superb to watch this, even the missus who hates animals being harmed was impressed and realised that these beautiful birds couldn't go to the Tesco for their dinner:eek:

Cheers, John:)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
great pictures. i've seen sparrowhawks take birds a few times, always in urban settings, i'd love to see one "in the wild". is the sparowhawk yet another species that's decided that life's a little easier around people?

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE