Sparks problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I'm not having much success making sparks on a Strike-a-light using a new Lapp Pukko. I assume it's down to the black coating on the edge of the knife but thought I'd check out other opinions before I sand or grind the edge. I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Do you hold the firesteel on the spine of the knife and then pull the firesteel backwards, in a fast motion? I had to experiment a little with the angle before succes. :wink: :biggthump

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Yes, the same technique as with my Woodcraft knife which produces a shower of sparks although I'll perhaps vary the angle a little to see if that works for the Pukko.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Is the steel stainless? This could be an issue, but I have a few stainless ones and they do exactly as good as the carbon. :roll: :)

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The blades can be a bit soft to cast lots of sparks. You have to find a good angle and use more pressure than normal. It works, just not as effective as harder steels.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
The back of your blade may need filing flat, look at the back of the blade and feel it it may have slightly rounded edges, you will need a good sharp edge to produce your sparks, flatten it by rubbing it on your sharpening stone or on some wet and dry paper :biggthump

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
alternative would be to use a short piece of hacksaw blade

i have one attached to a string on the firesteel

means i can carry whatever knife i want, without worrying if it will spark :)

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE