Spanish folding knife workshop visit photos

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
This visit was last October but I only just got round to sorting pictures. I was inspired to do so after visiting Trevor Ablett in Sheffield last week. An article on Trevor and his folders will be in the Guardian tomorrow.

Anyway this is Antonio Diaz Bermudez of Taramundi a traditional knifemaking town in Asturias. He is heating a bar of high carbon stainless steel in the forge ready to forge a blade.

galiciaknives-20.jpg

The blade is formed in a single heat, maybe 15 seconds work at most, the blade is nicely tapered to reduce the amount of grinding required and the pointy bit at the end is formed, this will be sharpened and makes the grafting cut.

galiciaknives-25.jpg

The blade is heated, dropped into this little holder and quenched in oil to harden the steel.

galiciaknives-22.jpg

The handle is then turned on a lathe.

galiciaknives-2.jpg

Next a metal collar is formed for the handle, this is a tight push fit over the handle which was turned to a conical shape.

galiciaknives-1.jpg

Now handle and blade are fitted together, just like the Sheffield knives the pivot point is a metal pin though unlike Sheffield knives they do not have a spring, to keep them in open or closed position, they are what are called friction folders.

galiciaknives-6.jpg

At this stage there is quite a bit of handwork to get it so that it opens and closes sweetly.

galiciaknives-9.jpg

Antonio senior then grinds the bevels, first on a big water lubricated wheel, note how it is all done by feel, he does not look at the work.

galiciaknives-14.jpg

A quick coat of varnish finishes the wood nicely.

galiciaknives-19.jpg

Nice and sharp.

galiciaknives-18.jpg

The finished knives.

galiciaknives-24.jpg

This is about half the pics, the rest are on my blog here http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/01/folding-knives-in-spain-and-sheffield.html

Along with a discussion about the difference in support for this traditional craft in Spain and Sheffield.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thanks Robin, this is lovely to see, not only the knives, but knowing that there are still crafstmen who can still make a living using their traditional skill and regional style. In my opinion,the shame is firmly on the lack of governement support in this country. We are all supposed to be treated equaly in the E U, but it's not the case at all. They can support their crafts people in Spain, they support them in France, so why not here?

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
That's an excellent insight into this traditional shop.

Could you explain a bit about the blade shape? I have never seen knives with a blade pattern like that. Do you open them one handed from the 'top' ? Or is it a special application blade?

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE