South West Trip - Picture Heavy.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I mentioned I had been out in the South West in January a while ago but I hadn't got around to shopping the pictures.

Well I had a bit of a splurge over the weekend so here at last are a few piccies for you.

St_Audries_Bay.jpg

Things started quietly in St.Audrie's Bay, I don't think I've ever seen the sea quite so calm.

Mortehoe_2.jpg

Fortunately there was a bit more action at Mortehoe.

Mortehoe.jpg

It was definitely a bit of a rocks and water type trip, I was travelling with an old friend who is a geologist so I soon spotted a theme running through his locations.

Hartland_Quay_Rocks_2.jpg

Hartland Quay and them on to an old favourite location, Botallack Head.

Crown_Mine.jpg

Sometimes down here I get a light in the early morning that just looks unbelievable.

It's happened more than once, but when it's printed up, people just think the colour is all wrong.

Botallack_Chimney.jpg

Roche Rock is a location I've driven past a few times but never actually stopped at. Part of the problem is that all the pictures I'd seen were from just one angle and I assumed that was all you could get at.

Roche_Roch_2.jpg

Not a mistake I'll make again.

Roche_Rock_1.jpg

Hope you enjoy these.

I'm currently Shopping my latest trip to the North East ( & South East Scotland ) so I'll post them up when I'm done.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Stunning photos, Sir. I especially like the third one of the rocks and the sea. Excellent impression given by the foreshortening effect of a long lens.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
You certainly have an eye for it my man, great pics.
Could I be impertinent enough to ask if you do much "cleaning up/manipulation" in photoshop etc?
Not that I'm against that in any way. All part of the creative process in my opinion.
Good luck with the comp. Let us know how you get on.

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
Thanks guys.

I've got to keep busy as I need a whole new bunch of pictures for this years Landscape Photographer of the Year comp.

I'll be really disappointed if I don't get into this years book.

I'm liking the look of some of the North East stuff. ;)

Amazing photographs, I've seen alot of photographs and paintings of the south west over the years, nothing quite as good as your work - stunning stuff - If you don't get into the book perhaps try and publish a small run of your own landscape/wild camping images, I'd buy one.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Simply brilliant, I have just booked myself on a photography nightcourse. By the way Gary what photographic software would you recommend for a beginner?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I started out with Paint Shop Pro and it was good software, logical and easy to use.

As I got more heavily in to it all I came up against a few limitations which may well have been sorted in later versions.

I changed to PhotoShop when I needed to work with higher bit files which PSP wouldn't do and although I hated the differences at the time I'm very pleased with it now I've got the hang of it.

If I was starting over again I would probably start with Photoshop Elements which is a cut down version, because upgrading later would be less of a steep learning curve.

As a note, I have to say I've never used Elements myself but I've heard good stuff about it.

Gimp is another very capable program, and free too, but again I have no experience of using it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks, they're not strictly HDR as they are produced from the same raw frame and blended with a luminosity mask.

Part of the apparent HDR effect comes from a midtone contrast layer produced with the high pass filter.

But glad you like them..:D

:confused: :confused: This is about the only bit I understood of that lot......

But glad you like them..:D

But no matter what jiggery-pokery went into them they're still stunning photoes Gary.... when are you going to do a book of your favourite shots?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE