Sourcing the right leather materials

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Hi all,

Since re-joining this site and looking at the number of different threads of good leather work I have decided to try my hand.

I have purchased a basic tool set up so feel in a position to try and take on a simple task but I have a question.

I am going to make a leather belt for my dad for fathers day and put a personal touch to it but where do you get the leather long enough to make the belt itself?

I can't for the life of me find anything that remotely resembles the piece of leather I would need.

Any help would be apprciated.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I doubt you'd go far wrong giving Leprevo a ring, they have always been very helpful
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/straps.htm
have a look on the site, ring them up, tell them what you want and listen to their advice
Once you get used to the 'strange' way of ordering, it's a simple company and very good to do buisness with.

Or of course Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-8-3mm-E...afts_Leathercraft_LE&var=&hash=item6421213030

good seller, honest prices. (nothing to do with me I'm just a very happy customer)

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Another vote for leprevo. My first foray into leather work started with a phone call to them along the lines of "Help no idea what i am doing but want to make a knife sheath" and we went form there. Great people to deal with.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Once you get used to the 'strange' way of ordering,

I think Tad is being Polite here. :)

Le prevo has the worst ordering system online bar none.

If you dont mind having to manual type your order out, then waiting a few days for them to tell you they have recieved their order, then you need to ring and give your card details, and then wait another week for it delivering, oh and those prices on the site are exclusive of Vat so add 20% to your order including the delivery costs, which im may even be illegal as you only pay VAT for postage on imports. But leprevo charges VAT on the postage anyway and they are based in newcastle i think.

Their stock selection is good though when they actually have stuff in. But personally i wouldn't give them another penny.

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I appreciate the help. I'm just waiting for some replies to message about belt blanks and then I can get cracking.

Dan

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Plenty of belt blanks on the bay, lotsa different colours if you don't want to dye it yourself & a good choice in widths..choosing the buckle will be the hardest thing but by adding a few poppers instead of stiching, you can change the buckle when ever you want.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I think Tad is being Polite here. :)

Le prevo has the worst ordering system online bar none.

If you dont mind having to manual type your order out, then waiting a few days for them to tell you they have recieved their order, then you need to ring and give your card details, and then wait another week for it delivering, oh and those prices on the site are exclusive of Vat so add 20% to your order including the delivery costs, which im may even be illegal as you only pay VAT for postage on imports. But leprevo charges VAT on the postage anyway and they are based in newcastle i think.

Their stock selection is good though when they actually have stuff in. But personally i wouldn't give them another penny.
Or you can simply email your order to them, (ok a bit of a pain actually thinking about what you want, then cutting and pasting it into am email) fire off the email. Wait about half an hour ring up and give your details, then wait for them to post them to you. It’s what I’ve done for the past couple of years without any problem. But I do tend to order in bulk so it is only a couple of time I have to do it.
If you only want a belt and a buckle, I’d use eBay, and the eBayer I linked to in my other post. Used them half a dozen time, without any problem.

Regarding VAT It is the law to charge it, Customs & Excise. ( Notice 700 section 8.3)
You’ve accused them of breaking the law before on this site, and were told then that it was the law, so why keep bring up something you know is not true? :rolleyes:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I have sourced myself a nice buckle so now its just a case of choosing the right belt and then somehow learning the correct stitching technique for affixing the buckle

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
I'm new to leather working too.
The Identity Store shop is worth a trip for materials and tools (good mail order service too)- they are based in Matlock, so easy to get to by road or rail from Manchester.
I've just finished a bag making workshop with them and I really rated the quality of the instruction and the price. The staff are really knowledgeable and helpful too. They do a workshop on belt making too.
HTH

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The issue i have which wasnt addressed before is that they charge you for p&p as normal, like any other online company. Then add that to the total of what you have ordered, then add 20% vat to everything, including the postage you have already paid VAT on. Not once have i come across this in the UK other than when i import something. Le prevo used to be based in Jersey or somewhere didn't they?

Or you can simply email your order to them, (ok a bit of a pain actually thinking about what you want, then cutting and pasting it into am email) fire off the email. Wait about half an hour ring up and give your details, then wait for them to post them to you. It’s what I’ve done for the past couple of years without any problem. But I do tend to order in bulk so it is only a couple of time I have to do it.
If you only want a belt and a buckle, I’d use eBay, and the eBayer I linked to in my other post. Used them half a dozen time, without any problem.

Regarding VAT It is the law to charge it, Customs & Excise. ( Notice 700 section 8.3)
You’ve accused them of breaking the law before on this site, and were told then that it was the law, so why keep bring up something you know is not true? :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE