Sorry I have not posted much recently

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thats a nice looking bit of cord, do you remember where you picked it up?

attachment.php

Again, thanks for posting here. :)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I always enjoy John's posts. I don't get the chance to actually get out much these days as I have young kids and it is a bit selfish of me to abandon them for weekends away. Often the trip reports posted on this site by John and others is as near as I get to the great outdoors.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Tablet ?
Tablet's a sweetie :D

HWMBLT Scottish Tablet Recipe

Ingredients
1kg bag of sugar
½ large can of sweetened condensed milk
125g of butter
1 mugful of milk (about as full as you'd fill for coffee)

Method
Butter a tray ready for the tablet.
Have a mug of cold water ready for testing

Put all the ingredients in a high sided pan. ( We use an old pressure cooker pan)
Stir continuously on a medium heat until all the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
Turn the heat up a bit.
Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring continuously, until when some of the tablet is dropped into cold water and you push it with your finger it forms a soft ball.

The tablet should be light coloured not brown. It is better to take it off the heat too early rather than too late. You can always reheat it if its too soft.

Stir the tablet vigorously until it becomes thick. If you cool the pan in cold water this saves you getting a sore arm. (put the plug in the sink, and pour in a couple of inches of cold water, put the pot into the sink and beat the mixture until it goes thick)

Pour the tablet into the buttered tray to set.

Enjoy scraping out the pot.
Bribe somebody else to do the washing up.

The last two instructions usually apply to one person

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks for that Mary I love scottish tablet that has just prompted me to make some I don't suppose you have a recipe for Strathaven toffee I really love that.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for that Mary I love scottish tablet that has just prompted me to make some I don't suppose you have a recipe for Strathaven toffee I really love that.

As far as I know, it's much the same but they use evaporated milk instead of condensed and it's cooked 'hard', iimmc. It's more of a fondant, (super sugared sucrose solution) It doesn't get as much beating, but you have to be careful that it doesn't stick and burn. It's sometimes under old recipes as Swiss Milk Tablet.....Nestle was 'Swiss'.....though those recipes are usually for condensed milk, they aren't all.

I'll have a look through the old sweetie recipes when I get a chance.

atb,
M

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
As far as I know, it's much the same but they use evaporated milk instead of condensed and it's cooked 'hard', iimmc. It's more of a fondant, (super sugared sucrose solution) It doesn't get as much beating, but you have to be careful that it doesn't stick and burn. It's sometimes under old recipes as Swiss Milk Tablet.....Nestle was 'Swiss'.....though those recipes are usually for condensed milk, they aren't all.

I'll have a look through the old sweetie recipes when I get a chance.

atb,
M

Lots of fondant in the shops overhere. Sinterklaas will arrive in 3 weeks time from Spain with his ship full of presents :D :D :red:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Isn't it hard to convey normal banter in written form when one can't hear the voice ?

Funny enough Johan, I went a googling for a recipe for Strathaven Toffee and came across ones for tablet that apparantly has great similarities with one from Holland and another from Spanish influenced south America :)
Our earliest written recipe seems to be early 1700's. Don't know about yours.

And having taken the thread 'totally' off topic :eek: :eek: we'll get back to encouraging Mr Fenna to keep in touch :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.......I have silicon moulds for chocolate coffee spoons, sort of spork sized, we could mould pink chilli tablet sporks :D

Ye gods, the calorific bombblast of drinking coffee and sooking a chilli tablet spork/spoon :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE