Soon be Winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's a been a lovely Sunny week but today's got me thinking about the Fall and then winter coming and got me wondering about what i'd like to do this winter, preferably if we've got snow which we really really really need so that we can have lots of fun in it :D

Def need to do some camping, if it's good enough snow I'll make some living space with it and do a few nights, I dare say though that most of the spare time will be playing with the kids on the hills :D

Has anyone else got any plans for Winter?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Leaves on the most southern facing trees are turning :)
Death to all biting bugs! Welcome foggy and frosty mornings. Fire becomes important again. Hay-fever might also finally give up.

North of the border for me with no fear of the midge.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Back to Sweden! Testing some new items I've purchased (GB SFA, Rob Evans Bushtool, new Arktis B110 smock in combo with my well-used Buffalo Special 6) and doing short hikes with selfmade kit (snowshoe, Roycroft packframe, pulka's) to see how they cope.
Spending a night in a selfmade shelter (maybe a quinzee this year) and spending 3 nights in a heated tent. Good times ahead!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm hoping against hope that NHS Wales are true to their word and will replace my knee before the end of the year as promised. If it happens I'll be able to use the Winter period to learn to walk properly again without the heat and the hay fever and the bitey things to get in the way I walk at least ten miles a day and have done all my life, but with a bad limp which has set up a lot of muscular and skeletal problems which I'm going to have to eliminate with effective rehab.

All this will be much quicker and far more comfortable to do in Winter; sweaty bitey hot Summer would be hell to do it, so fingers crossed :)

Haggis

Nomad
The wild rice season is nearly over, next up is netting White Fish, next is the deer hunting season, when the deer hunting season over, and I have been nearly everyday in the bush for the last 2 months, the snows will fall. Once there is snow, I will snowshoe every day until late March or early April. Being out on snowshoes gives me an excuse for building a fire, boiling tea, and for squatting in the snow to make my lunch. Fall and winter are the best times to be afield: the bugs have gone, the black bears are asleep, the fair weather wanderers will have hung up their packs until the days again becomes warm, and it will be only myself and the wolves making our way through the deep snow.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like Macaroon (Hopefully for him, I've had my joint replaced) I'm going to see how the new hip works in deep snow (hopefully) and ice. Hopefully get away with my mate with the tipi and bell tents to give the woodburners a good work out.

For now I'm enjoying the beautiful turning trees of Perthshire, admiring the jewel ladden webs that drape the bushes every morning and watching the mist burn off. Had a few frosts already and the feral apples are getting sweet and the sloes soft and plump.

Love this time of year.

Good luck Macaroon and cheers for posting Tony, this time of year deserves thought and admiration.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Bring on the cold. I always enjoy a good camp in the cold. Besides it makes me think a little more about what I need to do. Can't be half arsed about your camp when it's biting cold.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Roll on the long dark nights round the fire with long talks and longer sleeps under the tarp with the winter sleep kit listening to the wind howling as it lashes the tarp with rain and worse making me bed all the more snug, my favourite time to live outdoors is winter, the bleaker the better.

Watch out for the white walkers wandering the woodlands on their dead horses

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
No formal plans as yet. I'm just hoping for a decent winter, with cold and snow, rather than that dismal damp, mild excuse for the best season that we endured last year.

Some nights out in a dark, frosted wood with a small but necessary fire would tick a huge number of boxes for me...

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It would be nice if we got some more settled weather for this winter after last years storms.

A couple of things in the pipeline-an attempt at the Cambrian Way and another arctic trip, probably Finnmark plateau again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE