somethin bushcrafty in your job??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Y

yugudva

hi guys
just wondering ..how many of u have job that have to do something with bushcraft,outdoor,beeing out, wildlife, etc etc...
Or are majority just office people who need to take a break at the weekend and so are doing bushcraft or other activity??
like to know who have nearly totally bushcraft job -if anybody- or at least something very close to it....
i dont expect that here are any wikings or celts :) ... who are tottally in possition that live natturally...

im in possition that no job at the moment ...but want to have somethin like beeing out....and moving....

thanx for
any comments

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I unfortunately work in IT and despise it greatly nowadays, it pays well though so I`m probably stuck with it.

I am completely and 100% envious of those who are lucky enough to work in "bushcraft" related careers. There are a number of instructors / teachers on here who I would give my left arm to if I could swap jobs. Then again a one armed instructor probably isn`t that useful when you think about it. But a three armed network engineer would be very good !!

note to self - must learn to engage brain before mouth (or fingers)

Rich

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I don't still don't know what bushcraft is:confused:
I spend as much time as I can outdoors, today we paddled along a river and brewed up on the bank. Tomorrow I am taking a group into the woods and probably get a fire going and make something, not sure what yet, maybe elder whistles(cheers pipistrelle;)).
I have a great job!

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Hi Guys,

As the name suggests..........................i used to be a Ranger, but now im a Countryside Officer for my sins, but im still based with the rangers whom i manage, so get to play out with them whenever i want to :grouphug: :yelrotflm

Mark

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I'm a blacksmith working mostly from home doing historical reproductions. And the "bush" is 20 yards from my back door - ditto front door. Part of the historical reproductions also include items from the woods - since a lot of my stuff is geared towards the 1600's to 1800's Fur Trade in North America.

So that edge, between modern civilization and primitive bush country blurs a lot.

But the best part is that I don't have to ask you if "...you want fries with that?"

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Nope - IT for the past 10 or so years now and I wouldn't swap it for the world. I guess I am fortunate that I have a job I actually like. Now if I could only get rid of those pesky users....

Dr O

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Nope - IT for the past 10 or so years now and I wouldn't swap it for the world. I guess I am fortunate that I have a job I actually like. Now if I could only get rid of those pesky users....

Dr O

I'm the same as you Dr O, but been doing it for a little while longer. Before that I was in the Army.

Work life would be so much better without the users. :D

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
I manage my own woods. I make staffs and walking sticks, bird boxes etc to earn some pocket money. Apart from that I'm a house husband with 2 kids.

Spindrift

Feb 25, 2007
Highlands Scotland
I spend my days working in a hospital - not conducive to good mental health!
Been doing that for too many years but at least it means I can work and live in the Highlands. Much better than the insanity of Edinburgh.:eek:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I work as a teacher, in a semi secure (?) school / childrens home. Every Friday some of our angels get to go home so we lay on activities for the others. For my part I try and make it outdoorsy, using different stoves, taking walks through the local woodland etc. I have just expanded this to full day walks and to date have done one overnighter staying on a Scout camp. I have also started the Duke of Edinburgh's Award in school and am looking at "Bushcraft" as the skill element.

Overall, the angels have taken well to the outdoors scene and I am looking forward to expanding the range of activities that I offer!

SImon

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I work as a teacher, in a semi secure (?) school / childrens home. Every Friday some of our angels get to go home so we lay on activities for the others. For my part I try and make it outdoorsy, using different stoves, taking walks through the local woodland etc. I have just expanded this to full day walks and to date have done one overnighter staying on a Scout camp. I have also started the Duke of Edinburgh's Award in school and am looking at "Bushcraft" as the skill element.

Overall, the angels have taken well to the outdoors scene and I am looking forward to expanding the range of activities that I offer!

SImon

Good work Simon,

If any subject can enlighten and make kids wiser then bushcraft can.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Although my main job is teaching English, I also teach bushcraft and other campcrafty skills twice a week to a growing group of kids. It is fantastic to see the expressions on their faces when they achieve things - lighting fires, making usable spoons, tying knots correctly - for the first time. I feel that it is a real and rare privilege to share my enthusiasm with them. It also allows me time outdoors to keep practising my own skills too. Can't be all bad!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I'm the same as you Dr O, but been doing it for a little while longer. Before that I was in the Army.

Work life would be so much better without the users. :D

IT! Boy, that brings back memories - from a past life. Especially that "users" comment!

Too many ... stories ... come to mind. They gave true meaning to the one accromin (or however you spell it):

PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

90% of our work was done for less than 10% of our "users" - who mostly just wanted you to do their work for them for free - complaining loudly all the way!

Shudder! The bad memories from that past life can still drown out the good ones!

Now I know I need a wee dram or three ...

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German Blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE