someone sent me this beautiful obsidian knife!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
knifefromcharles.jpg

i sent a fellow some gneiss (a metamorphic rock) out of which he wanted to make some knife handles--so he sent me this back.

i'm amazed how polished he got the gneiss, which is a rather grainy rock. i think the blade is green sheen obsidian.

it's perfect...

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I first saw an obsidian blade at the wilderness gathering and thought it was a pretty special looking thing but that it just outstanding, pure genius craftmanship. Pretty difficult material to work with as well i believe.

You are a very lucky chappy.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
That is an incredibly beautiful piece of work.

And so generous of the bloke to give you such a stunning gift in return for the rock he needed. A gift like that would just blow me away. Awesome.

It is generosity and the sharing of skills and knowledge like this that attracts me to Bushcraft and this forum.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that is just stunning. :Wow:
How skillful must the maker be to not only work the obsidian but to do so to such a beautifully balanced shape? :notworthy

Thank you for sharing & do you have photos of other examples? :)

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE