Someone else using my images commercially without my permission....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
LOL- thank google image search.

Never had much luck with that, I think my practice sessions using my image proved I am too ugly to litter the net ;)

As an aside, I never buy from the bay of evil (overseas) or that big chinese place despite lower prices due to practices similar to that in this thread and that I like to buy from places I can get to easily and remonstrate in person if/when things go wrong and get fobbed off online or over the phone.

Rob.

Glad Alana got back to you, reckon this will spread like wildfire amongst the community of talented bushcraft makers

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
''I can't reply to the gentleman who found me on youtube, since I'm not signed up in the forum. Please give him my best and my thanks! ''

i've said she should sign up! lol

s

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, sign up and post some stuff, I bet she's got lots to share, plenty of experiences.

It will get sorted mate, the most you'll probably get is the pics taken down but that's better than them being there...

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lol....i forwarded your message on tony....and told her she had to obey haha!

''ok, done and done! LOL

You can find me on the site as Gritzy...''

groovy!

s

Yeah, sign up and post some stuff, I bet she's got lots to share, plenty of experiences.

It will get sorted mate, the most you'll probably get is the pics taken down but that's better than them being there...

Feb 16, 2016
Texas, USA
Hello, all! As you can see, my arm got twisted and I joined in... Thank you Mike and Sonni for your detective work! FYI I have sicced my lawyer on the site, and hopefully it will be remedied soon. I will let you know what happens. Looking forward to exploring everything that bushcraftuk has to offer!

~Alana

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What have you got for copyright protection in the UK? Find out ASAP.
Plus, they are guilty of deceptive business as they did not make the item that you made.

Canada has a federal copyright law that can, in fact, jump in ahead of us and begin
proceedings to prosecute the offender(s).

I found some photography of mine used online without any licence/copyright agreement.
I quoted the relevant law to them. Out of court, they settled for 10X what the rights would have cost them in the first place.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You know Sonni, you'll save yourself a lot of bother if you actually put a clear watermark on your pictures rather than relying on some little bits of twigs and a branch. Anyone who is going to rip off pictures won't be put off by something like that because it's meaningless to anyone but yourself and in fact makes the picture more desirable to them because it's a well composed picture, just the sort they want to use.

Whereas your logo emblazoned predominantly on the picture will either stop them cold and move onto another picture that they can use or cause them to have to crop so much as to make it too much hassle for the effort.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi robson, ta for your input....things a bit different over here i believe, however i've successfully prosecuted before.....and this brings me to mesquites comment....i've though about it before but you know what, i dont mind people using my pictures to a degree....not at all, happy to....they are just stock pics anyway so if people want to use them for illustration purposes, editorial, forums etc i dont mind at all.

what i do mind is people earning off my back and from my work....people with a certain attitude that i have utter contempt for.

i've some 15,000 of my pictures, taken back when i was into photography, placed with image banks and they are copyrighted/watermarked.....thats different....but just the stock stuff i take in my back garden is open to anyone to use so long as theyre not ******************************** ***** ******** *** *****************!

you know, gets to a point where you just wish you could ''watermark everything''.....maybe i should indeed start doing my pics....this stuff really gets me down dude. feels like theres people kicking your head in even whilst you sleep.

s

You know Sonni, you'll save yourself a lot of bother if you actually put a clear watermark on your pictures rather than relying on some little bits of twigs and a branch. Anyone who is going to rip off pictures won't be put off by something like that because it's meaningless to anyone but yourself and in fact makes the picture more desirable to them because it's a well composed picture, just the sort they want to use.

Whereas your logo emblazoned predominantly on the picture will either stop them cold and move onto another picture that they can use or cause them to have to crop so much as to make it too much hassle for the effort.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello, all! As you can see, my arm got twisted and I joined in... Thank you Mike and Sonni for your detective work! FYI I have sicced my lawyer on the site, and hopefully it will be remedied soon. I will let you know what happens. Looking forward to exploring everything that bushcraftuk has to offer!

~Alana

Hello Alana :D and welcome to the virtual campfire that is BcUK :) Pull up a log and join the conversations.

cheers,
Toddy

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

~Alana
Welcome aboard!

Sent from my UMI eMAX using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

~Alana

Hello and welcome!
Enjoy the rest of the site too :)
Quite a few of us have had problems at some point with unauthorised use of photos - I had one guy on another site even using one of my self portraits as his Avatar!
Identity theft as well as photo theft!
A hint of legal action had that changed.... but why anyone would want to use a photo of me to make themselves look good is beyond understanding :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
That sucks, mate. I feel your pain. It's getting to the stage where you really have to think about what you post and where for fear of someone stealing your designs or images.

We could nearly have a thread pointing out thieves at this stage.

Some people have no shame.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Angst. I read that you have the photographer's grasp of stock and copyright.
I could have ignored it but I was trying, as you, to make a clear income.
The rights to illustrate their website didn't need to set them back in a 4-figure settlement.

A watermark alone doesn't fly here as you might have cut a rights deal that doesn't show up.
Some reference to attribute and law seals the deal for us.
I've bought a few photographic prints that hang, framed, in my house. In my offer,
I spell out very clearly which rights I want to buy. So far, that's been agreeable, every time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE