Cliffs and beach walk(very nearly my last)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I went out today with the intention of having a final recce of a future camping spot,to see if i would need tent or tarp and to see what the fire wood situation was like, through extreme stupidity i nearly killed myself at the end of it.I set off early from my house appox 9am,with the intention of getting back for 3pm(misses starts work at 5pm need to be home for kids) once i reached the area around St Abbs head i headed north along the cliff tops.The first thing i came across although the picture does'nt do it justice was the ruins of a iron age settlement the cliff's around here have quite a few,

luckybarsteward003.jpg

basically alls thats left are circular stone walls about 4-5ft high covered in grass and with ditches running round them,

Further on i came across a good shot of one of the many beachs that just cant be reached,

luckybarsteward008.jpg

you cant see if from here but there is a waterfall where the cliff ends,it can only be seen from
St Abbs end but my camera cant do a pic justice, as its a bog standard digital and the waterfalls way to far off from that end.

As i neared my destination a came across this underground spring, no idea where it originates or how safe it is,

luckybarsteward012.jpg

Finally after 2hrs walking i reached the part of the cliffs where i could get down to the beach, dont know if you can make out the zigzag path down,
luckybarsteward011.jpg

once down i had a quick bite to eat and a brew up.

luckybarsteward016.jpg

then a quick look around, i think this lump of rock on the top of the cliff is alls thats left of Fast castle,theres reputedly a cave under it which was used by smugglers,will check it out when i camp here,

luckybarsteward033.jpg

sorry again thats on zoom my camera just cant do much, apprently theres more remains and ruins if you look down on it from above,it had quite a colourful history.

This is looking in to one of the old timber shelters built between standing slabs of rock,
luckybarsteward037.jpg

and theres a abundance of fire wood,

luckybarsteward038.jpg

theres plenty of bits of the old wreck scattered about,

luckybarsteward039.jpg

anyway when it was time to leave, id walked to the far end of the beach(opposite castle end) and i saw what i thought was another footpath back up,

luckybarsteward049.jpg

Normally im very cautious and dont take risks but the further i went up it the harder it bacame,till i was crawling up and using my walking pole to dig in to the ground for support,why i didnt turn round then i dont know,the next pic is the last one i took before i realised i couldnt get any further up as id come to sheer rock,and before i realised that maybe i couldnt get back down,

luckybarsteward047.jpg

having now gone about 300 up the approx 400ft high cliffs some of which had been almost vertical scree or moss slopes, and realising i couldnt go further up i was in trouble,because trying to go back down the scree, it just gave way and id slip and only stop myself by digging in my walking pole,the mossy area's where worse because the pole just ripped off the surface moss,and i only stopped myself by grabbing a clump of grass which held me long enough to dig my heels in.This is not me trying to sound tough because i was very scared,any rock that fell by my actions, went all the way down to the bottom, and i knew that if i slipped and couldnt stop myself id be in serious trouble, i sat there for about 20mins,at first panicking,and feeling sorry for myself,and also knowing if i didnt try to get down id be here for along time possibly when it was dark.My misses wouldnt do anything till she realised id make her late for work,say around 4.30pm, then she would have to tell someone where i was roughly,and having never been there herself and although id told her i dont think she could of give a precise location, then id need to be found, the wind was blowing very hard off shore so any shouting by me would go out to sea. To cut a long story short i very slowly went down on my left butt check holding what i could with my left arm,and using my right leg and my right arm holding the waking pole to act as a brake,i had a few near misses where id slip and manage to stop myself, and have pulled my shoulder,and have a few bruises but i did get back down unharmed and am very lucky, i dont know why i went up so high, i only can remember thinking it must level out, but it didnt, i was stupid and wont make the same mistake again, on the plus side it gave me one hell of a adrenalin boost because i got home in 1hr 15mins compared to the 2hrs to get there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Glad you got down safely, :cool: but you're right, that's a real adrenaline kick :eek:
I have to confess I wouldn't have tackled that path down :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Gailainne

Life Member
A pucker moment if ever I heard one :eek: , glad you not only got out of it okay, but more importantly learnt from it, I've had a few scarey moments in my time, and the scars to prove it, not fun at the time, but your right the adrenaline rush during and when you know your safe, is a kicker.

Super photos btw, very nice area.

Stephen

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Very nice pics. That area looks lovely. I'm glad you're okay, but you will have learnt a lot from your adventure. It's from when we make mistakes that we learn the most. Hopefully your experience will stop someone else from making it too.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
Nice pictures Andy.

I’ve been in a similar position to you; it’s horrible when you finally realise you are in possible trouble and think to yourself ‘just how did I let myself get into this situation?!’
I think some of the anguish is the embarrassment of possibly having to be helped down.
I think it’s also generally easier to go up something than come down it; many mountaineering accidents happen on the descent.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A bit of excitement on a Saturday afternoon Andy

Glad you got out of there okay mate. That path does look like it goes somewhere, maybe it's just landslip ?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers guys and yes at one stage it was very much a pucker moment,stupid is as stupid does, lesson learnt.Mistwalker ,Warthog1981 on this forum made my crusader cup lid great bit of kit.I did think at one stage oh poop if i have to wait it out here for rescuing am i going to look a plonker or what! Rich i think your right the path was probably made by a landslide, basically all round there, its just rock and scree some of which has been covered by moss and grass theres no real foundation,kick away the top layer of moss and its rock just underneath so probably a bit of subsidance made my so called path. One quick pic just to get a idea of how far St Abbs head is from this beach, The arrow marks the position roughly of where the Lighthouse is situated on the other side of the cliff,and roughly where Wayland was when he took his pic when camping there,and also to show why taking a pic from there of the waterfall near this place with my puny camera would be pointless

luckybarsteward025-1.jpg

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Cracking pics there and cheers for sharing the story. Alot of folk may have kept it to themselves, and is a superb example of "if I go a little further it will be ok", I've done it myself but promised to stop and think first if I ever did it again. Great post.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great thread. Glad you got home safe. Been in a few scrapes like that myself out on my own, and with others. One path like that just got smaller and steeper until hanging off the side of a cliff by the trees growing out of it. Laughed it off at the time but could have been a problem!

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Glad to hear you're safe Andy.

I have had a couple if similar moments, self inflicted, when I have thought "Oh S##t I wish I hadn't started this!" but not being in a position to go down. Not a great feeling until you do get out and the adrenalin kicks in!

Cheers,
Steve

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Tent.jpg

So looking back the other way you must have been right out by the point with the lump on it in the right of the picture.

Glad to hear you got down OK, some of those slopes are proper scary.

I liked the area, it's quite wild but that also means you're alone if you get in trouble up there.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Yep thats area, the beach is in the cove just before the point, i like it because it is remote,
its a mix of sand and pebbles,with grass at the back for tents or tarps,plenty of fire wood, and even a small stream flowing down the cliffs,and a small shelter already there. The only down side is its a long hard slog to get to, and hard work to get down,even using the zigzag path.

Yep thats area, the beach is in the cove just before the point, i like it because it is remote,
its a mix of sand and pebbles,with grass at the back for tents or tarps,plenty of fire wood, and even a small stream flowing down the cliffs,and a small shelter already there. The only down side is its a long hard slog to get to, and hard work to get down,even using the zigzag path.

Sounds like you have had an amazing experience that most of us keep quiet about as we nearly all have them at some point! Glad you made it ok. I like that part of the world. I like your little cove. It looks like the kind of place you would get away with making a turf and wood shelter which would be good fun as I don't imagine many folks would go down there a lot. Looks like a good spot for fishing too. I'd be tempted to check out the stream to make sure it's not a drain and see if you have a viable water source to save you carting it in. If it is ok then tou are sorted for a few days peace and quiet with the fishing rod!

WS

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Woodsmoke, im guessing the stream that runs down the valley on the end of the beach comes from the watersource in the third pic down,the underground spring,the reasoning behind this is that spring opening is at the top of the cliffs right above the valley at the end of the beach,although finding where this source comes from would be the problem, there is sheep grazing land on the tops of the cliffs. Theres no crop fields as far as i can see,so pesticides may not be a problem,hopefully filtering and boiling would be a option,this is a problem im trying to deal with,because im planing to stay there for a few days soon,carrying enough water would be a problem,although i did ask a mate to act as a sherpa(eg travel to the site and carry extra water for us drop it off and then go home)and he agreed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE