Some thoughts on Bushcraft Magazine Issue 1.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I received this this morning and have read it now and feel ready to comment.

I'm going to do this as a kind of good and bad points review.

GOOD POINTS
- I like the A5 size. Much easier to stuff in the top of a rucksack or even in my jacket pocket.
- I liked the mix of articles and in general they felt quite detailed.
- I like the Competition - I hate easy competitions - you know the kind a) Angelina Jolie b) A fluffy bunny rabbit c) Pol Pot (Actually maybe that's a tricky one for Bushcrafters ;) )
- I was glad to see that articles weren't placed right next to advertisements from the writer's businesses. In fact I've just realised that Patrick didn't even advertise. That's how I think it should be.

BAD POINTS
- I only have one real gripe and that's only because I am a photographer. Obviously the detail of photographs is going to suffer to some degree because that's the trade-off for an A5 magazine. But some of the printing quality and maybe some of the photo editing could be improved in a few individual areas.
Don't get me wrong, it's not a major issue, but maybe it would help if I give an example - The photo on page 10. I'm happy to talk about the photo editing more if anyone wants to. Like I say they aren't bad,in fact some are quite good, but a number could be better despite the size restrictions.

ARTICLES
I wanted to also say a bit more about the individual articles.
Nature as Wallpaper. Nice. In a good position at the front and kind of sets the 'bushcraft' mood for you.

Reviews. Detailed and giving good factual information. Even better you can win the Petzl. I've already mentioned the photo :rolleyes:

Making a bow from kiln-dried timber. Detailed and interesting. I've made a flatbow myself and its interesting to see different techniques. Hopefully we'll see more How to articles like this - the thirty-minute bow? flatbow? Stovie's bamboo bow?

Twelve plants for twelve months. Relevant seasonal info is a great plus point. I would have rather seen 12 plants a month though!
Similarly The reality of food in the bush was great and I look forward to part 2.

Lime bark cordage. Now this is exactly what I think should be in a Bushcraft magazine. The kind of how to where you can do exactly that. More small and interesting projects please. Even if a reader knows how to do something already it is always useful to see how others who have mastered the same skill do it.

I was impressed with the level of detail in the hand drill article. The simplified drawings were clear and easy to understand too. I assume bowdrill is just around the corner.

NITPICKING
This is simply small points, many of which simply come down to personal preferences. So ignore as you see fit.
Adverts. These weren't very intrusive, however I think that many of the bushcraft schools - and I am sure there will be others clamouring to advertise in the near future - should really spell out their location in the UK. When you're faced with many adverts for courses which often have crossover between schools, showing the location of your courses could be the difference between getting a call from an interested person and not.
Contact information. Why repeat the single issue info twice? (Told you this was nitpicking!)
Outdoorcode's postage offer expired before I got the magazine. :red:
Byline. The byline for the writer (Stuart) of Reality of food in the Bush is missing.

That's about it. All in all an impressive debut. If I wasn't already signed up you could sign me up :rolleyes:

Marts

Reactions: Toddy

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Marts,

I missed off some of the details:

32 Pages

Do you mean 32 sheets so 32 x 2 = 64 sides (= readable pages) or only 16 sheets of paper (= x 2 = 32 readable pages)?

Sorry but I couldn't find better wording for it to formulate the question but I think I made it clear.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I have to say I pretty much agree with the marts comments. No expert here but maybe some bigger pics with a few more pages would help. Also the type size could be bigger (I understand that this due to the small format) adding a few pages of could mean that it might be easier too read for the visiually impaired or those not using a petzel torch to read it. :rolleyes:

Other that that I found a good read and I look forward to the rest.

James

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the mag? I'm heading off for a couple of weeks next weekend. Is it too late to get it before then?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I shouldn't worry about the number of pages. It's early days yet. Some of you may of heard of a little magazine called White Dwarf. It started off small, a very low print quality, but has turned into a fantastic magazine.

I think with the coverage bushcraft gets, more and more people are moving towards bushcraft, and a magazine will be a must for the begginner and expert alike. I haven't got round to placing a subscription as of yet, I'll start sweet talking the missus after dinner, (seeing how I just bought a Richard Graves book off Abe books!) but I am interested in how this magazine will do.

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
The magazine is great.......

Personal good point....

Great to have some bushcraft philosophy in the form of T. J Elpel's article....not just a list of skills!! I think bushcraft needs to develop its theory and philosophy more....it can be an abstract term!

What I'd like to see in following issues...

Tracking and more plant and tree lore.......great feature of the magazine was the plant for every month......keep this up!!!!!

stevo

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Thought the mag was very good in general, and is was nice to focus on information and advice rather than kit.

My only concern or criticism, and i'm not entirely sure how to raise the subject, was that some of the information is duplicated from exsisting articles on the website, which can be viewed/printed for personal use for free.

Obviously being an online community with an article section and a magazine this was obviously going to happen. But it was a bit disapointing reading an article in the magazine that I had read just a week or so ago on the website thus meaning that i had already seen a vast majority of its content prior to opening the magazine I had just paid for.

Which, in my opinion, gave me the impression that the magazine had been rushed to be put together and just grabbed some exisiting artcles to throw in there. Which I am sure was not the case at all.

Perhaps this will not happen again, I do not know. But if it did, then it would be nice for the articles to be with-held from the website for a few months so at least those that have subscribed to the magazine are getting the first glimpse.

I hope my above comments are not taken the wrong way, as over-all I was very impressed by the magazines content and look forward to next seasons.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I am only aware of one article which appeared in the magazine as well as making an appearance on the website, the handrill article.

this particular article was included because of its practical nature and we felt that people might find it useful to be able to have the article with them in a physical format whilst they practiced.

It is certainly not the intention that the magazine duplicate the website in any way and all future articles will be exclusively sourced for the magazine.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
HI Stuart, thats good news :D (And yes I agree it is nice to have a hand drill how to to hand)

The other article was the "Nature as Wallpaper" one, which was listed on the site back in October: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=185

But this is more of a concern more than anything for futrue issues, as I think the inclusion of the Nature as Wallpaper article is a good choice, as Marts said, It puts things into context and sets the scene as to what bushcraft is all about.

I was just worried that future issues may have just ended up being a compilation of otehr articles on the site, so thanks for setting my mind to rest :D

Thanks.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Like I say, I'm interested to see how the magazine pans out, but things from the site should be included. Who wouldn't want to look at some of the amazing things PatrickM has put up on the site. His tutorials are fantastic, informative and well laid out. And they just simply work. If there aren't any of his tutorials in, then get them in next issue, or I'll send the boys 'round!!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
andyn said:
The other article was the "Nature as Wallpaper" one, which was listed on the site back in October: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=185

But this is more of a concern more than anything for futrue issues, as I think the inclusion of the Nature as Wallpaper article is a good choice, as Marts said, It puts things into context and sets the scene as to what bushcraft is all about.

you are right, I wasnt aware that that article had gone onto the site, nice article though isnt it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE