Some things I would want to buy

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I've got a list of a few things I would like to buy. Can you give me some advice on what i really need?

My list:

Bahco saw
mittens
Gransfors axe
flint & steel
small backpak for short hikes
Trangia stove
RM bushcraft book
FAK
PSK
DC 4 stone
Billy can
GPS
Tarp
Hammock
Camera
Crook knife
Kelly kettle
Petzl headlamp
Maglite conversion LED
Poncho
Sven saw.

Kind regards,

Michiel

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have the gransfors axe, bahco saw, maglite led and i can say they are great and worth every penny
as for a small backpack i would say go for the lk35, it is a simple 35 litre rucksack that can be picked up very cheap
leon

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
A First Aid Kit is an essential. As for the rest of it, well, that depends on exactly what you want to do and where...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Bahco saw - Good investment, I got mine as a gift, it was from woodsmoke and came with a nice leather sheath. Amazon do them cheap.

mittens - I have nice woolen gloves with leather palms, in the UK it rarely gets down to mitten temp and when I had some falklands type army ones, my hands got too hot.

Gransfors axe - I have a swedish forest axe and wildlife hatchet, both are very nice and made nicer by 2 sheaths by singtek.

flint & steel - I got a very nice one from ebay, there's a current thread running about various makers of them on here.

small backpak for short hikes - while I hate surplus and adventure, they do a lovely 35litre swedish one with an external frame for £10 - it's great for travelling light.

Trangia stove - Haven't got one, prefer gas or regular fire - it's personal, i'm not advising against.

RM bushcraft book - I have the telemark one, it's a good read... i'm not a great reader - again, personal.

FAK - I recently went on a first aid course, only then can you properly decide to put in a first aid kit but anything is better than nothing.

PSK - ??

DC 4 stone - I carry a DC3 in my possibles pouch and it's good but does remove an awful lot of material! I rarely use it but it's good to know its there.

Billy can - love my Zebra 16cm... it's huge but you can fill it with stuff before it goes in your pack so it doesn't need any more pack volume than the 10 or 12.

GPS - swapped mine for a silicon impregnated reindeer hide, nice but I never used it.

Tarp - I have a few, love 'em all... kathmandu 2.5 x 2.5 is light as a feather... tatonka TC 3 x 3 is lovely and solid feeling... tatonka 3 x 4 is vast!

Hammock - I have a few custom kathmandu ones and a hennessy asym expedition... love 'em all (in the summer)

Camera - I have a Nikon D70s and it's fantastic, best photos I've ever taken - bulky though.

Crook knife - I used to have a Frosts one but the RM one I currently have is by far the better tool - it should be at that price, they can be found a lot cheaper though but mine was blessed by Ray himself (maybe not but I need to justify it).

Kelly kettle - I don't want one, they're rather large and limited to brewing up - again, just me though, others love 'em.

Petzl headlamp - I have the Tikka XP with the single very bright LED, it takes 3 x AAA batts and is very good indeed, the sliding cover/diffuser is good also, mine's blue, girlfriends is red.

Maglite conversion LED - with the petzl, I don't bother... I do have a candle lantern though, it takes tea lights and can hold 5 when in your pack. love it.

Poncho - I have a US issue one... careful of knock-offs, they are often smaller and your arms will get soaked. good kit, doubles as a tarp end wall or even a bivi bag at a push.

Sven saw. - no idea what this is... I stick with the laplander.

I hope this insight helps some... not sure what you were after but it's all good stuff.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
First aid kit is vital and should be bought or made up before you buy either your saw, axe, knife, stove or fire-making kit. After that, I'd look for a decent pair of boots and the clothing which is going to serve you best for the type and level of bushcrafting that you're going to do.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I've allready got good boots (Lowa) and decent clothing (fjallraven trousers an tenson jacket).
A PSK is a personal survival kit. I made a small FAK, but nothing special. Band aids, antibiotic oinctment, tape, razorblade, tweezers, needles, some gel for soar musles, painkillers without acethyl, Aspirine, anti-diarhea pils.

Would this be enough?

BTW: I have got a first aid degree so I know how to use these things

Michiel

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Michiel - I have all that PSK stuff in my first aid kit... errr... no, I may have got the wrong end of the stick... yeah, I added to my FAK some sterile water (for rinsing out dirt from cuts or eyes)... some glucose tubes for instant sugar hit (for diabetics, i'm not one but I may find one or be travelling with one)... some cooling sterile burns gel because we play with fire so much and some Resolve... don't know if you would get that but it's hangover cure :p

I have random bits in my possibles pouch... some fishing bits, DC3, matches, lighter, a few other bits and bobs... like i said, it's a good list you have there.

jamie - here's the link for the lantern... mine are in silver... fantastic little things, especially with the candles costing £1 for a billion in Ikea - plus they don't goo up all the internals like the big expensive ones do.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Doesn't what you need depend on what you have already?

Personally I would try and go for training over kit any day - as knowledge doesn't weigh a thing!

But if I were to play the game, then a bushcraft book is a good place to start, or some kind of flit+steel :)

Agile

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Agile the theory is sound but from experience, I don't want to have to make everything every time I go in to the woods. It's fun taking nothing once or twice though.

Anyway, i'm not going hijack this thread and go off on kit ethics and bushcraft dogma.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
One of the best things you can have is the ability to improvise.
Essentials are a
*Knife*
because with that you can make most things that are essential,
Also some method of starting a fire a swedish fire steel is brilliant although that does mean you have to find some tinders or make feather sticks.

However is you get one of those air tight food bags from tescos when your out and about whenever you come across some birch trees you can pull off the little curling strips which light very well when there scrapped to be a bit finer. If you want a few bits of rubber inner tube works really well in an emergency.

as for everything else you need

its basicly

Backpack
tarp or tent
sleeping bag
sleeping mat
cooking stove (or oepn fire which i like more)
cooking pots (a billy cans good and a stainless steel mug are good to cook in)
GPS is good but as with all electrical goods faliure is a possibility so a compas and map are essential if your going of the beaten track.
A Nato water flask is good especialy if you can buy the mug that fits around it in stainless steel.
First aid kit
utensils
head torch and normal mag lite (with spare batteries)
Clothing
Wash kit
Food

Then all the possibles you wanna carry.

I got a Bacho saw of amazon which was about £15 i think with delivery. Works really well and is nice and light.

Shelter a good ground mat is essential as its horrible to sleep without one I got a prolite 3 which really works well. If you say you want a hammock its still ideal to have a ground mat as you still get cold even high off the floor. http://www.postfreeoutdoorgear.co.uk/ is a good one for the mats.

You can buy a australian army hootchie of www.raymears.co.uk which ive use and there brilliant robust and more hoops that the britich basha.

Hammocks are the best way to sleep but try to buy one where you sleep diagnal across the hammock to get as flat as possible as sleeping like a bannana really hurts after a while.

Flint and steels are very hard to get to work when your trying to teach yourself and its a pain to prepare the tinder so for safety carry somthing as a back up and a flint and steel as an experiment. You can get them off the ray mears website as well.

An axe is good but are you gonna use it to carve alot as the saw if alright for collecting fire wood altough if you wanna use it to split wood its a good idea.
But the small forest axe is about the best for economy of weight carrying and usability. Remember you can use a saw to split wood as well but its not as easy.

Backpacks for overnight hikes about 35 liters is ok for longer a 50-60 is good.

Theres an alright £15 head torch in argos I got it and Its good but its got like 7 bulbs so it takes a while to switch through the settings back to the one you want. I have a small mag lite in my first aid kit as well.

The first aid kit can be bought from boots but you have to add your own items as well a mag lites good. some painkillers and ibuprofen are essential. I like to keep about 10 meters or 3mm cord in there as well which packs up small but can be used on a variety of things from shelters to bow drills. Its good to see what you can fit in your first aid kit and think about making your own one i can write what ive got in mine if you want?

A good pair of gloves works well to keep your energy up when your using your hands to move things in the winter as the heat can be sucked straight out of you if your using metal tools. If you want mittens its alwas good to have a pair of normal gloves with some over mittens as its hard to work with mittens so you can always remove them. But as squidders said its rarely cold enough in england.

Clothing now everyone has there own i love my swanndri bush shirt keeps the wind out and me at just the right temperature there alot of different stuff a tilley hat keeps your head reasonably dry and some fjallraven forester trousers keep your legs dry but they do make a bit of sound when walking.

I've probably made this really drawn out and very boring but I think its worthwild taking the right kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE