Stuff to bring/buy etc for Thailand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi list,

First, if I mistakenly placed this in the wrong part of the forum please tell me why and how to relocate it ;-) Since this is the first 'thread' I start on here.

Second, John Fenna: I truly am s-orry for this late reply (fully answering your reply on my intro about stuff to bring to Thailand). If it is too late you can always add your comments to the why's or why not's. ;-)

During my 2,5 year backpacking stint I obviously learned somethings. So the advice I will be giving here is based on what I have learned, to be comfortable and safe with. You can only judge that for yourself! (plus I can not and do not want to decide about the contents of your wallet ;-) ) Hope I am still making sence here.

Stuff to bring to Thailand for a month long trip.
NOT talking passport, credit card, camera etc. here! In that light I do not mention a cigarette lighter either.... mmmm

Still writing a large page about some complete equipment list on my website with many of the what, why why not, when etc.

Some stuff I would bring, some stuff I would buy there and some stuff I would leave there, depending on location, new friends, etc.

Doing a bit of bushwalking, city sightseeing, tourist activities stuff and not mentioning the nightlife here.

Bring along = BA (IF YOU ALREADY HAVE IT!)
Buy locally = BL

Primary Backpack (prob max 40 liters or less!) BA

Miscellaneous
1 or 2 locks (1 for your backpack during flight etc, 1 for hostel doors) BA
Personnaly I would use numerical locks (you can loose keys....)
1 or 2 LED light BA or BL (photon type)
1 Toothbrush BA
Nailclipper BA/BL
Pen, Pencil & Notepad BA
If no previous knowledge or not sure about yourself a Lonely Planet type of guide will get you thru (almost) anything in Thailand. BA/BL
1 pack of disposable handkerchiefs (emergency TP/firestarter) BA
Throwaway razor, Toothpaste, soap (wash, shave etc.), sunstuff, mozzie stuff: BL

Clothing
Hat (depending on your personal pref!) BA/BL (baseball caps on markets are plentiful!
2 long sleeved shirts BA (1 you wear, 1 spare/washing/drying)
2 long pants BA
or buy 1 long silk pair of pants on the Bangkok Floating Market (jungle night wear)
2 or 3 pair of socks (depends on location, 1 you wear, 1 you wash and dry overnight) BA
2 or 3 pair of briefs/shorts (swim, underwear, shorts) BA/BL (BL: silk boxers!!!!)
1 thermal underwear shirt: AIRCONDITIONING IN BUSES (+ jungle sleeping atire) BA
1 pair of 'sneaker' BA
1 pair of flipflops BL
1 'sarong' BL: towel, 'male skirt', blanket etc.....BL

Shelter
Tarp & Hammock (Personally my Hennessy Hammock, incl mozzie net) BA
Otherwise experiment with cheap, good, local hammocks (mind your size!)
I have NOT found decent Tarps (weightwise!!!) there, might be me ;-)
Silk sleeping bag liner (for hostels and in your hammock) BA , luxury item I know :eek:
IF going to colder locations (Chang Mai Hills) you might want to consider a poncho liner type of blanket/sleeping bag), I used the ones my hosts offered me so no BA/BL ;-)

Cooking
Alu pots BL (btw, Zebra billies etc come from THAILAND <eg>)
Spoon BL
Waterbottles, just use an empty soda bottle, BL

FAK
relatively small, healthcare in Thailand is pretty good (first hand experience)
my FAK I only have available in Dutch (so far)
Pics at:
http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewImage.asp?AID=2622879&IID=85096193&INUM=8&ICT=28&IPP=60

Probably all you want/need for your FAK you can buy in almost all but the smallest towns.

PSK
Personal Survival Kit. Really depends on what skills you have, with what comfort level you can stay in a jungle, hence *personal*.

Tools like a Parang, SAK can be useful if you already have them. Machete type of tools are locally available if (WHEN) necessary. Leatherman type of knives/tools are found in abundance on markets.

Of course feel free to comment, things I typed are not complete (FAK, PSK), but I think most of it is pictured (for the time being on:

http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewAlbum.asp?AID=2622879

for more stuff about that RTW stint, look at
http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewAlbum.asp?AID=1808546

that is to comply a bit with "Too much kit to carry"'s reply on my intro from March somewhere about uploading pics.

I know, its quite long but hey... fire away ;-)

Grtz Johan

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Having lived in south china, where the weather is maybe similar, I'd stress quick drying clothes if you've got them, don't worry about a towel because it's hot enough to dry quickly without one, take enough shoes if you have big feet. sun hat is very useful if you've pale skinned.

> Probably also a way to make water safe to drink.

Basically we all just boiled the stuff ;-)

Quick drying clothes are nice indeed btw..

Sun hat depends on purpose. Sun protection in the forest is not all that necessary (shade from the bush). Hat protection from vines, spider webs etc. is a BIG plus!

Regarding foot stuff... mmm almost all the time used "Adidas Kampung", cheap rubber shoes...and yes s-orry... I did do some not so sensible stuff of running around barefoot.... thick skinned did not only relate to my feet I guess ;-)

Grtz Johan

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Just as a side note....has anyone got any advice on travel insurance? I'm heading to China in a couple of weeks and my heads spinning looking at Insurance comparisons and prices!

Cheers

:)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
There are a couple of decent western standard hospitals about; I'm thinking of one in beijing that was part of a chain, but can't remember the name. Chinese hospitals will keep you alive and comparatively modest cost, but as a visitor your chances of finding a good one in an emergency are slim.

PM me if you want some general tips about travelling in China. I lived there for two years and have been to most of the best places.

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
There are a couple of decent western standard hospitals about; I'm thinking of one in beijing that was part of a chain, but can't remember the name. Chinese hospitals will keep you alive and comparatively modest cost, but as a visitor your chances of finding a good one in an emergency are slim.

PM me if you want some general tips about travelling in China. I lived there for two years and have been to most of the best places.

All help is appreciated, PM sent!

Thanks

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE