some ramblings and advice needed about a trailer

i spent the last 4weeks walking through korea-just coming back today after walking ca. 50km today, now i'm footsore-(after already spending a few month here) and it has been despite some hardships(most nights i camped out and some of them went below the temperature limit of my sleepingbag; finding an upgrade was rather tricky as i looked for a synthetic- filled one but everywhere only downfilled for sale...) an absolutely rewarding experience.amazing what people you can meet that way... .
i've also been busy getting my visa for china(i had to send application and passport to europe)sorted out and got only a few days ago the email that my visa has been granted, so beginning of january i'll be off into my next trip. despite a lot depending for me on getting that visa i see it with a crying eye, too: i'll miss korea and the people i met over here as i've no idea if i'll se them again... .

o.k., enough ramblings and to the subject: my trip in china is a planned trip on foot and i'll have more luggage than to fit it in my backpack. my solution is to get a small trailer.i've come over the years across storys of walkers who used them(karl bushby's "giant steps" and others) and in 2005 actually saw an australian man walking along the highway near darwin- his son had cancer and survived it, so he decided to go on a 8000km walk from adelaide along the westcoast to darwin, collecting money for charity- using a pram to transport his gear.trailers are widely used in korea by locals to transport their goods around and from what i gathered on infos so far china should be the same, so hopefully i'll find something suitable.
during my pushbike ride through new zealand i used a trailer behind my bike, but everytime i had to take a gravel road the vibrations caused the screws in the joint of the trailer to get loose, requiring regularly tightening up as the trailer had no suspension.
none of the hand-towed trailers i heard/read about mention a suspension, so i wonder if you would need one... .no idea what condition the roads will be... .
has anyone used a trailer and if yes- what were your experiences?

thank you very much and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hey up mate good on you for following your dreams and travelling, I read about a trailer no so long ago il dig into my reading material and try and find the info for you .

regards

franc

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just a thought, but you can buy a chinese copy of the old BMW WW2 motorcycle and sidecar outfit for pennies over there. You can get plenty of stuff in that! Alternatively, you see lots of Chinese 125cc motorcycles with all sorts of sidecar attachments - again dirt cheap.

I know you said its a walking trip, but think of it as a way to get the bulky stuff around from base-camp to basecamp, allowing you to walk with a lighter pack......................

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Is this what you are looking for?
walking-trailer-wheelie-walking.jpg

as seen on this website - not used them, nor have any connections, just popped up in a google search.

thanks for the advice so far! me and motorbikes...erhhmmm... well i never managed to ride them on my very few attempts of trying and- as i had rather serious issues with motocrossers in the past(let's they the had very little tolerance for my way of living and used this as an excuse for rather hostile actions)- are not a big fan of them; i prefer walking or pushbiking(less noisy and you see more).

the trailer on "eel28" 's picture looks good, but i hope to find something locally for a lower price + as i'll start rather soon doubt i would get it delivered in time...

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
the trailer on "eel28" 's picture looks good, but i hope to find something locally for a lower price + as i'll start rather soon doubt i would get it delivered in time...

Have to agree, that does seem a little expensive to me too! Could buy a trailer to be towed by a car for less!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE