Some pics of me Landy...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
...just because...

southdown0002.jpg

southdown0007.jpg

southdown0004.jpg

...i love it to bits.

:drive: :D

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Wasn't it black?:confused:
But if you can tell what colour it is, you aren't trying hard enough!:p

Freshly jetwashed today, so I thought I'd treat it to a couple of pictures. I know it may seem odd to some, but I love cleaning it. That is probably enough to get me thrown off the Land Rover Monthly mailing list. :D

It looked like this when I bought it....

TONGA901.jpg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Ahh, you have been pimping it, nice one. Why did you lose the alloys though..?

Partly cosmetic and partly functional Jon. The offset on the alloys is such that the face of the wheel is pretty flat against the mounting, this creates a narrow wheel base which makes the vehicle look top heavy, but it also reduces the steering lock. By contrast, the deep-bowled modulars have a much deeper offset. The effect is to push the tyres out by about 30mm per wheel. Effectively widening the wheelbase by 60mm. This definitely improves handling as it lowers the center of gravity and it gives it a bigger wheel lock, making it more manouvreable. Alloys also crack and fracture, steels are much stronger. Plus I think the modulars just look better. I think alloys are all wrong on defenders.

...oh and Craddocks gave me a part ex on em against the BFG's.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Partly cosmetic and partly functional Jon. The offset on the alloys is such that the face of the wheel is pretty flat against the mounting, this creates a narrow wheel base which makes the vehicle look top heavy, but it also reduces the steering lock. By contrast, the deep-bowled modulars have a much deeper offset. The effect is to push the tyres out by about 30mm per wheel. Effectively widening the wheelbase by 60mm. This definitely improves handling as it lowers the center of gravity and it gives it a bigger wheel lock, making it more manouvreable. Alloys also crack and fracture, steels are much stronger. Plus I think the modulars just look better. I think alloys are all wrong on defenders.

...oh and Craddocks gave me a part ex on em against the BFG's.
Very good....I have some modulars on mine now, it certainly does improve the handling and looks better too, but I keep clipping kerbs now ...

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Very good....I have some modulars on mine now, it certainly does improve the handling and looks better too, but I keep clipping kerbs now ...

:D I know what you mean, I've done about a 1000 miles on em now and they do take some adjustment. Definitely glad I switched em though - even if technically it reduces the value of the vehicle.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've decided I don't like you Martyn! I don't have a landy any more but I love them and think yours looks fantastic. Be nice to it.:p

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
One day I will have a landy like that - but having nippers, I'd need seats in the back, and then laugh at the mirror as they bounce around.

That is very nice Martyn.

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
get a 110 then dougster!

martyn dont you find the step reduces your ground clearence? otherwise very tidy looking mate - would love to take her out and get her dirty!! lol

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I like the BFGs, I have the same set on my jeep.
I want to ask one thing though, as a fellow 4X4er; when you went to the wider rims, did you experience any wobble? It is a common thing with Jeep Wranglers that, when you put in a budget lift kit, and wider rims, you get what is called the "death wobble". Essentially, what happens is that, due to only lifting the springs, and widening the stance, the jeep is a little unstable, particularly when you hit bumps at a decent speed (me, its about 40 mph). I dont know anyone who has a landy, so I figured I'd throw it out there :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
get a 110 then dougster!

martyn dont you find the step reduces your ground clearence? otherwise very tidy looking mate - would love to take her out and get her dirty!! lol

Not sure what you mean ...i took the steps off...

southdown0004.jpg

What's on there now are Southdown rocksliding sills with welded on tree sliders. They sit at about the same height as the original sills - maybe a quarter of an inch lower (that's how much I had to cut out of the front mud flaps anyway.). They're not sidesteps, although they do look a bit like em at first glance.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I like the BFGs, I have the same set on my jeep.
Great aren't they? I'm well impressed with em - surprisingly good road manners too.
I want to ask one thing though, as a fellow 4X4er; when you went to the wider rims, did you experience any wobble? It is a common thing with Jeep Wranglers that, when you put in a budget lift kit, and wider rims, you get what is called the "death wobble". Essentially, what happens is that, due to only lifting the springs, and widening the stance, the jeep is a little unstable, particularly when you hit bumps at a decent speed (me, its about 40 mph). I dont know anyone who has a landy, so I figured I'd throw it out there :)

Actually I got less roll after I switched to modulars. But the crucial thing there was that I used exactly the same size rims and tyres that were already on the vehicle. The size is absolutely stock (235/65 R16's - about 32 inches I think).

All that has really changed is the offset on the wheels, they are not actually wider, they just sit further away from the hub. No lift on the truck either, just factory shocks and springs. I think you can go upto about 34 inches on a defender without cutting arches or lifting etc.

I think what that wobble you might be referring to we call "bump steer". Cant say I've noticed that it is any more prone to bump steering with the wider wheelbase.

In fact it generally feels a lot better all round.

Before (factory)....
wheels001.jpg

After....
wheels002.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE