Some pics of me Landy...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
Not sure what you mean ...i took the steps off...

southdown0004.jpg

What's on there now are Southdown rocksliding sills with welded on tree sliders. They sit at about the same height as the original sills - maybe a quarter of an inch lower (that's how much I had to cut out of the front mud flaps anyway.). They're not sidesteps, although they do look a bit like em at first glance.

My bad, i noticed em on the original pic - jackable tree sliders rock - and i think enhance the look
again my bad

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Very nice Martyn. But, isn't it a bit, well , sort of, you know, clean?

On a serious note I hope you have some decent anti-theft stuff on it (no don't tell us what it is) I have never really got over the theft of my own defender 90.

Enjoy it mate, there's nothing better than a good landy.

Dave

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
One day I will have a landy like that - but having nippers, I'd need seats in the back, and then laugh at the mirror as they bounce around.

Plonk forward facing brackets/mounts in the back of a 90 and put some Audi 80 seats on them......they work nicely. I've also seen Audi 80 seats put into the front with a bit of jiggery pokery weldy glueing, also nice.

Saw a Lightweight looking for a home today, £1895.00.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
On a serious note I hope you have some decent anti-theft stuff on it (no don't tell us what it is) I have never really got over the theft of my own defender 90.

Well, nothing is infallable, but the stock TD5 immobiliser & alarm is actually pretty good. The immobiliser is hard coded into the ECU and is unique to each vehicle. Even replacing the ECU will not work as the ECU's are matched to the vehicle as well. Not infallable, but very good as these things go.

I've done a fair bit of research into the security thing and the best things I could find are the "tracker" - GPS based vehicle tracking system - expensive, but the subscription is for the life of ownership and if you own the thing for 25 years then it becomes cheap. It's electronic though, which means it can be defeated - like all things. It wont stop the vehicle getting nicked either, but there is a very good record for recovery of vehicles fitted with trackers.

The next thing is something called a mecklock. This is a mechanical lock (no electronics) that locks out your clutch hydraulics and renders it inoperable. The only way to defeat it is to bleed down the clutch and fit a "bypass" then re-prime the system. Takes time and is conspicuous. Even then, you have to know it's there, know what it is, know how to find it and come equiped to defeat it. With the standard TD5 alarm & immobiliser, a mecklock and a tracker fitted, there is little else that can be done. It's not infallable, but it's as good as it gets.

Of course, I'm not saying I have these fitted, but I'm not denying it either. ;) :D

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Looks good mate.

I'm also a 'froader, but live in the dark, wet, hole that is Jeep ownership! I've had a little tinker with it though so it's a little more capable than standard. I really like the look of the 90 and was so tempted to get one but they are just too much money with the mods I'd want to do. Jeeps are cheap to buy but then you still have to get the bits, with a petrol it's easy, just ship them in from the US (half price!) but with a diesel it's a little trickier as they didn't sell them over there!!

All good fun though, what kind of off roading do you do?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You landy owners are a strange bunch!
You either paint tham strange and disturbing colours or wash them...
My white van blends in with the scenery in town (natural environment of white vans) or the countryside (it is so unwashed I have that "clean air indicator" algy growing on the roof).
OK it is cr*p off road - and on -road, especially up hills of more than 1 in 100, and is slow But it holds a shed load of gear and even doubles as a camper van with a removable doublish bed (or will take my hammock) plus 3 peoples canoe/bushcraft kit inside and 3 16' canoes on top and still drive from Wales to Scotland on half a tank of fuel without breaking down!
White Van Man Rules!

Except off road ... or up hills..... or in the snow......

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Looks good mate.

I'm also a 'froader, but live in the dark, wet, hole that is Jeep ownership! I've had a little tinker with it though so it's a little more capable than standard. I really like the look of the 90 and was so tempted to get one but they are just too much money with the mods I'd want to do. Jeeps are cheap to buy but then you still have to get the bits, with a petrol it's easy, just ship them in from the US (half price!) but with a diesel it's a little trickier as they didn't sell them over there!!

All good fun though, what kind of off roading do you do?

Very little in truth. It's more of a general utility vehicle, I just use it to lug me and me stuff to nice places that can be a bit awkward to get to. Though I dare say I could get there in a fiat panda at a push. I know it's kitted as an offroader, but it just sort of grew that way. I started by putting a steering guard on it as a sensible precaution, then I thought I prolly should add some diff guards just in case. Then I spotted the bumper for sale and thought it would look good as well as offer some easy recovery points. I never liked the alloys and general grabber road tyres, so swapped em for modulars which I think suit the vehicle better. The mud tyres came from a lot of looking around and people saying that they were the best all round tyre. I have to say that I have not had any problems with on-road performance and would recommend BFG muds to anyone. The rocksliders came from a desire to fit it with jackable sills. Step back and bling - an off-roader. But I never really set out to mod it like that particularly. I aint going any further though. I'm happy with it as it is. I can get pretty much anywhere with it and it's nicely armored now. Maybe a few bits on the interior and some stuff at the back I want to do.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Wow, she's a beaut John. How do you find her compared to the old girl?

What steering wheel did you get? Been looking for a smaller wheel myself.

The new engine certainly seems to have more pull. The six speed gearbox is great for motorways as well. Also the sound insulation is hugely improved. I had additional insulation fitted to my TD5 but it is not needed at all in the new one.

The steering wheel I have ordered is just a cheap basic 14 inch wheel from Craddocks. I want to see how I get on with it first. If the size works out well then i might get a better one. The boss kit for fitting it is said to bring the wheel closer to the driver which would help with leg space. The extended seat rails give the seats about 2 inches extra travel back the way but they also lift the seat about an inch. So although you get more leg room you start to foul the wheel a bit ( well you do with lanky legs like mine)

I had the side rails fitted and have a new stereo with a Ipod adaptor. I also have the cold weather kit with heated seats and windscreen. I also got the seven seat version. The seats in the very rear of the 110 are now proper forward facing seats with three point belts so a huge improvement and turn the 110 into a proper 7 person transport.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE