Pocket Dump

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Oh love the calipers, where did you get them? If you don’t mind me asking
Are you talking about the slide rule? I bought that on ebay recently, it's a Starrett 425. What's interesting about this particular one is that it has the Esso logo inscribed.

I'm really into engineering tools, in particular precision measuring tools. Don't ask why.

Reactions: slowworm

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
A little slide rule, or vernier calliper is a brilliant tool to have on you if you're working on for example an engine, for taking a measurement of a bolt head so you're not back and forth trying to find the correct size socket.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Cheers for that. Is the inner micrometer Mitutoyo?
No, it's a Starrett No.700 I did have 3 of them, but sold one of them. They rarely ever come up for sale second hand over here. I also have a Moore & Wright inside micrometer which is the only one I've ever seen by Moore & Wright!

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Here is the Moore & Wright No.794 inside micrometer. I haven't been able to find another one or any information about it on Google search etc. An old Moore & Wright catalogue would be nice.

And the three of them together..

Reactions: slowworm

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You know you have a precision micrometer when there is torque control on the screw. I still measure important dimensions in “thou” because that is what my best micrometer measures.

Reactions: Dan00001

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Here is another interesting one.. I saw this on ebay for £10 so I could not resist. If you don't already know, see if you can guess what it is used to measure. And I'll stop taking over this thread with photos of micrometers, now, although I do often edc one of these. Some people carry coins to fiddle with, I carry a micrometer :lmao:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Somewhere I have a brass lined wooden slide rule that relates safe working load to diameter of hemp, Manila and steel cables.

(…….. and to keep on OP I bought lunch for three of us and had a great chin wag.)

Reactions: Dan00001

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
The point at the end does measure depth, yes. It's a can seam micrometer. Can seams have to be made to surprisingly tight tolerances to create a seal.
Yeah a buddy of mine used to work in a company called Crown Cork, making cans for Pepsi I think. I remember they had to do a massive recall when full cans were exploding in Peru. Rough roads and high altitude meant they had to toughen the seems etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE