some old tools

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Over the last week or so I've been busy making some Old Tools :) Members on a couple of other forums that I frequent wanted some bits made up for their living history demos, so I have based all of these on archaeological finds where I can.

The first collection of tools are for a green woodworker who wanted copies of some of the tools from the Mastermyr find (a Viking period tool chest from Gotland). On this occasion I've made chisels (1/2", 3/4", 1"), spoon augers (3/4", 1"), a bent gouge, a scorp and a saw (with progressive pitch on the teeth!).

ancienttools1web.jpg

The second lot I'm not so sure about in terms of accuracy, they were requested by an Iron Age chappy and he provided the drawings. Some are more reminiscent of later tools (such as those from Mastermyr) and some I can't find any archaeological precedence for, but he is paying me to make him things and the customer is always right. apparently. :D So we have: 8 feet of chain with an S hook, large drawknife (11"), splitting hatchet, woodworking hatchet, sickle and an eating fork.

ancienttools2web.jpg

Mostly these bits were a lot of fun to make, though I did remember half way through that I REALLY dislike making sickles, saws and drawknives :rolleyes:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Some shiny work there Dave. I understand (via Roy Underhill I think) that fishtail woodchisels were more common before mechanised production. Guess it gives more flexability of use?

Is the lower/second axe folded/welded? Looks like there's a possible weld line about an inch back from the edge. If so I would agree with you about that seeming a little advanced for the IA -- but then there was one in Mastermyr, so who knows :D

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
That is some really nice useable art work there! Now and then I dream about me making this kind of stuff myself!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Really nice tools there.A question about the progressive pitch on the saw..am i right in thinking it has finer teeth at the end for starting cuts and the larger teeth for rip sawing?They look like fun to use!:)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Thanks folks :) I like making tools that are based on archaeological originals. It's kinda where I come from (I used to be an archaeologist) and I like to try out the styles that used to be on offer before mass production simplified shapes and design.

The chisels are really nice little things. As Matt suggests the fish tail does allow then to be used for other types of carving as well as just chiselling, they are also MUCH nicer to make than the modern types. Modern ones have to be straight, flat, parallel and people get hung up on any of those points that is not 'right, whereas these are the right shapes and sizes where it counts ;)

The axe on the bottom is apparently of Iron Age origins I'm now told (still verifying it), I was unsure based on the shape of it stylistically, but I'm now thinking it will likely be fine. It's not firewelded, though the Iron Age ones WERE and had steel (or phosphoric iron) edges welded in, just as most of the tools did ;) The axe head is forged in an interesting cross section, I'll take a pic in a bit and post it up :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
here is a top view of the little axe (it weighs 440g btw). It was the cross section (ie this view) that made me unsure of the date originally.
ASaxetopweb.jpg

Also, not of any particular date, but I had a student in the workshop the other week who wanted to make an axe head, so i made this little sweety alongside him :) The whole axe (including sheath) only weighs 610g, so the head is less than 300g I guess

trapperweb.jpg

trappertopweb.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE