Some of my recent work.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
4 years sine I went into hospital with multiple organ failure and came out with diabetes too. I can relate to that a little mate. Glad that things are more positive for you now. Will you be able to use chainsaws again? Or is that a gonner?

oh yes, hopefully next year i can get back to some sense of normality.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I just got an image in my head of you standing in your workshop stroking 'em…."Soon my precious...soon" :D

lol, i do miss the smell of two stroke in the morning, at the moment i have the bars and chains here, the engines are up in the lock up out of harms and temptations way, i'll just have to content myself with using my Silkies for the time being.

Reactions: HillBill

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
What happened to you guys?
Sounds awful!
I got type 1 diabetes at 35 years old, which is uncommon. I'd started losing weight fast, ended up with hardly any strength in me, then my eyes went and I couldn't see properly. Went to docs for a blood test, he said id get results in 10 days. He was knocking on my day first thing next morning with an ambulance in tow. Said I had to go to hospital right now. So I did. They told me that if I hadn't gone for the blood test when did (Thursday, in hospital Friday) id have been dead over the weekend as my liver and kidneys were failing, my eyes also and I had diabetic ketoacidosis. I was only in hospital over the weekend until they'd stabilised my blood sugars. It was the knock on effect from it all that was worse. Having to get used to it, having to change a load of habits etc. Ended up with depression for quite a while afterwards. I'm all good now though, used to it and in control, so it doesn't affect me badly anymore..

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You're not alone, HillBill. Good friend (50's?) fell down one day, passed out.
Turned out that Type I hit him like a ton of bricks. Been a year+ and he still looks a little fragile.
He's a really good silversmith and back at it, I'm pleased to say.

I like your blade-smithing. My striking accuracy is so bad that I quit after 2 edges.
Almost no investment so I escaped. I'll watch what you do.

Reactions: HillBill

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You're not alone, HillBill. Good friend (50's?) fell down one day, passed out.
Turned out that Type I hit him like a ton of bricks. Been a year+ and he still looks a little fragile.
He's a really good silversmith and back at it, I'm pleased to say.

I like your blade-smithing. My striking accuracy is so bad that I quit after 2 edges.
Almost no investment so I escaped. I'll watch what you do.
Yeah, it does take it out of you for a while. I dropped 3 stone because of it and I wasn't overweight to begin with.

I use the stock removal method to make knives as opposed to smithing. I have an anvil, but no forge. I did try it for a while, but If I ever got into smithing properly, it would mainly be for making Damascus and axes. I want to learn hand engraving though, so that's probably gonna be the next skill set I learn if anything. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE