Some experiments. (Picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
First up was a method of suspending my Alpkit titanium mug above a fire. I had made a small removable aluminium hanger bracket that fitted onto the rim of the mug, but it was weakening every time I folded it to fit it back into the mug. So I came up with this idea. It's two small pieces of thin aluminium, drilled to accept the chain from a firesteel. The ends are bent over to fit into the rim of the mug. The rim's well-formed on the mug and although it looks a bit precarious, this rig stands up to swinging and shaking about. It's very secure, weighs next to nothing and is really compact.

img8598pc6.jpg

img8600hf4.jpg

img8603of5.jpg

Second is Grandpa´s Fire Fork, except I made it myself from an old metal coathanger. It's a very clever design that allows you to make a toasting fork out of any available stick. I need to burn off the galv coating from mine and I think I'll file the ends to sharp points for sausages, but it looks like it'll work really well.

img8604lr9.jpg

img8605kp8.jpg

Lastly oops56 has posted a couple of times about using corn chips as a solid fuel. Well, as it's not April 1st I decided to test it with a bag of Lidl's finest tortilla chips! By jove he's right. Not a good fuel for embers, but lots of hot yellow flames enough to boil water. It left a bit of oil in the bottom of the pocket cooker, but it'll stop it rusting and the fuel's literally "cheap as chips"!

img8606cw9.jpg

img8609au0.jpg

Not a bad evening's work. ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice one! How do you find the Pocket Cooker? Good bit of kit? I was looking on the bay of evilness and was considering one, but I'm so skint at the moment and I'm saving my last kidney for an Alan Wood knife!:lmao:

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Just looked on Ebay and they're expensive. Mine was from Ebay, but it was £10 delivered I think. Supposed to be a second but I couldn't see anything wrong with it. Delivered quickly with a note to say any problems, let them know and they'll send another. Try keeping an eye on this or pop them an email.

TBH I've not really used it in anger, I've only lit it twice, but I do like it. It's a clever design and very compact. My opinion is I think it's great for £10, but I don't think it's that great for £20+.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Dry sheep poo works well. It burns hot. So does dry cow and horse poo. I once smoked a pipe full of dry sheep poo. I didn't know it was poo mind you. Someone told me it was organic, nicotine free smoking mixture and I believed them. Not a bad taste but it burned my tongue.

Eric

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Dry sheep poo works well. It burns hot. So does dry cow and horse poo. I once smoked a pipe full of dry sheep poo. I didn't know it was poo mind you. Someone told me it was organic, nicotine free smoking mixture and I believed them. Not a bad taste but it burned my tongue.

Eric

i don't know if i should laugh or cry at that....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Second is Grandpa´s Fire Fork, except I made it myself from an old metal coathanger. It's a very clever design that allows you to make a toasting fork out of any available stick. I need to burn off the galv coating from mine and I think I'll file the ends to sharp points for sausages, but it looks like it'll work really well.

img8604lr9.jpg

img8605kp8.jpg

Brilliant....:notworthy

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Been making the Grandpa's Fire forks for a good while now with the scouts (out of stainless), they are very good to use! (Got a couple I can post out if anyone is interested)

And the corn chips? how mad is that! someone told me that peanuts will also burn like fuel (Though I have never had a go)

Nice post thanks for shareing

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Going to have to rip off the toasting fork idea.

The mug hanger is genius! We have a set of drum lifting chains at work that function identically, they're used for 200 litre drums so you should have no problems.

Creative evenings are so much more fulfilling than sitting in front of the gogglebox.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!

Eric

Nice story Eric, cheers for sharing!!

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE