Solo camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Who do you spend time with when enjoying your outdoor activities?

• Alone, because theres no one else to join you.

Votes: 137 20.3%
  • Alone, because you enjoy the solitude and silence.

Votes: 284 42.0%
  • With a group of friends.

Votes: 151 22.3%
  • With girlfriend/wife.

Votes: 108 16.0%
  • With mans best friend

Votes: 93 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 83 12.3%

• Total voters

Cephas

Jul 9, 2007
Chaves, Portugal
I often like to go out alone. But, what would you guys say to a couple of parents who stay worried when i go out to the wild, alone, and plan to do an overnight? Alone that is. I am 32...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I often like to go out alone. But, what would you guys say to a couple of parents who stay worried when i go out to the wild, alone, and plan to do an overnight? Alone that is. I am 32...

LOL i have just turned 30 and my parents used to worry but after trip after trip they now are kind of used to it. The other way is dont tell them and make sure your missus doesnt blab if applicable ;) As long as somone knows when to expect you back and has a route card if appropriate then yool be fine :)

Cephas

Jul 9, 2007
Chaves, Portugal
LOL i have just turned 30 and my parents used to worry but after trip after trip they now are kind of used to it. The other way is dont tell them and make sure your missus doesnt blab if applicable ;) As long as somone knows when to expect you back and has a route card if appropriate then yool be fine :)

No missus yet, but thanks for the advice! :) I just love to be alone in the wild. There is something almost magical about the feelings we get from being close to nature.

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
I was going to solo camp for the first time the other night.. then a couple of friends came up with a few beers then we ended up going to someones house to continue drinking.. and i was scared lol..

Should be going out tonight tho hopefully get the tarp set up properly this time.. lol it was also the first time trying the Tarp/hammock didnt go lush lets put it that way lol

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
90% of the time i camp alone, just easier where i go and when your sat there, just eaten dinner, cider in hand looking into the woods waiting for the sun to go down, thats when i feel alive.
The question of solo or group has risen it's head for my planned trip to norway in october, one persons pulled out because of work, the other is travelling around europe and i've no way of contacting him until a month before were due to go. 3 weeks alone in the woods? yeah go on:naughty:

D

deezee_uk

I went with my GF a couple of times and it required too many luxuries to be classed as camping + I was required to constantly provide entertainment rather than just enjoy the quiet wilderness. When I go with my mates its either heavy drinking with spirits and a butchered burnt/undercooked meal or a good hike, No exceptions. Also I find other people to be incredible unreliable when it comes to going away for the weekend.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
I mostly go with my mate and my dog,I tried solo camping one time when my friend left me in the woods because he was scared of the thunder & lightning -.-, so i stayed and felt so at home alone in these woods but soon as m parents found out they came to pick me up :(

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
My first post woohoo. I usually camp with a couple of friends or with my girlfriend but i have been camping on my own many times, mostly down the coast which is good for the long nights and the sounds of the waves crashing, send you to sleep. Also in the forests but thats a bit creepier due to the millions of foxes and owls that don't shut up and keep you awake. I'll happily camp with anyone or anything though

Jul 17, 2007
Although i haven't tried alone yet it sounds very attractive. Usually i'd be in the woods with a group of friends, but depending on weather and conditions it can show your friends in new light and when a lot of things go wrong could ruin what friendship you had. On the other hand you can come out of there stronger than ever and make a friend for life.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I was going to solo camp for the first time the other night.. then a couple of friends came up with a few beers then we ended up going to someones house to continue drinking.. and i was scared lol..

Why were you scared going to a mates house for a few beers is he a serial killer or something:Wow:

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
usually i go in the huge tent, Landy crammed to bursting with gear, with SWMBO and 3 kids, plus 3 or 4 mates and their kids, so it's a big party - the kids all bugger off and do their own thing, leaving the adults to enjoy a bit of p & q. get the campfire going, knock back a few cans of falling-down water and talk turnips til the wee hours...
however, since joining this site, the desire to travel a bit lighter (kit and friends!) has spurred me to spend some cash on gear for a 'closer to nature' type of trip. off to the horseshoe pass this weekend, just me and the BOSS - can't wait!

In trying to convince my wife of the joy of camping, and in trying to persuade her to come on a backcountry canoe trip with me, for a few years my wife said "I prefer 5-star accommodations", to which I cleverly replied "I prefer 5-million-star accommodations". Then, around our last anniversary, something happened and one day she said "okay, let's go". So we went and she enjoyed it a lot, except for the commode. We only stayed one night, so it was a bit of a canoe trip...

What I am saying is "there is hope for the afflicted"... they, of course, being the afflicted, not us.

Cheers,

Mungo

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I went with my GF a couple of times and it required too many luxuries to be classed as camping + I was required to constantly provide entertainment rather than just enjoy the quiet wilderness. When I go with my mates its either heavy drinking with spirits and a butchered burnt/undercooked meal or a good hike, No exceptions. Also I find other people to be incredible unreliable when it comes to going away for the weekend.

Wild camping as the title suggests without the luxuries of modern living that's how I see it. the less talk the better as far as im concerned just soak in the atmosphere and then move on it cant be beaten.....I love it. the only reason I take a companion is for H&S :buttkick: my missus insists I have wild camped most of the pentlands and lowlands

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Strange but true in the woods when we are alone we confront our primal fears. The first time I did it I thought I saw a hooded figure in the shadows, so being brave I wimpered a bit.... then I thought :thinkerg: I do have an axe and a knife with me, lets ask him over for a brew. Turned out to be a holly bush :rolleyes: , I felt rather stupid, the holly was not impressed either.

So now when the chaps cant play or I only have an evening off I go and do a solo and it is a joy of joys. When on my own I never take alcohol, a few friends know where I am but on your own, alcohol and knives dont mix!

Sandsnakes

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Due to the work I do getting time on your own without being disturbed is a rare commodity. I've been doing it for years but never as often as I'd like. Planning on going out tomorrow in Dartmoor and trying out one of these new fangled Hammock things! I am a little biased though as I've never gone camping with anyone else. On a different tack is there a Dartmoor or New Forest area meet at all? I'm back in the country for the next few years, a rare thing and fancy being sociable and meeting some like minded people.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE