Solo camping quistion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I recently had a wee solo camp not too far from home and I know what you mean it's a funny feeling what I did was set branches all round my tarp 10m all round if anyone thing approached I would here them and spring into ninja mode lol some good whiskey helps ;)

Where were you Riggers, local or farther afield? If local, I can suggest a place or two NOT to go at night.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Woods are nice but the bare Downs are very good for a night's sleep although you might be too busy watching the stars and for shooting stars to get much sleep at first. Snuggling into the bivvy is great and gradually warming up brings drowsiness but is it a waste of a cloudless night not to look at the moon and stars? Zero fear of course. Hold something else instead of an axe or machete if you need comfort. Leave that torch alone, you should be able to see all you need to see.

You are a large animal snugging down just like all the others around you apart from the nightwalkers who might even trot by to be seen in the moonlight. Even the early morning mist and the floating sheep has its charm as you slide further down into the bag and get those last few hours of deep sleep. The Victorians called a cup of tea or coffee a grateful drink which describes that early morning brew exactly.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It occurs to me that sometimes I worry more about my car left sitting in the parking lot than I do about myself. But that's a problem more in some places than in others, just like anything else. I worry the least about it in national parks than anywhere else. And sometimes I just worry about whether I can get it started when I come back.

That is my most usual worry too these days.

Didn't seem as bad in the past but my van is usually packed with stuff I need for my business so I do get a bit paranoid about it I guess.

Almost a subject worth a thread of it's own.

gobfish1

May 3, 2009
mancherster uk
most of my solo camping is done along the canals some walking but most times on my bike, i fine after doing 50+miles. I sleep like a log .

risk wise iv never had a problem, no wild life that will eat me in the uk , maybe the odd drunk but for the most part they just want to bum a smoke and chat,
last year i did about 25 nights camping along the canals ,

i find the only time i have problems is on camp sites , lol

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Well you won't get eaten by anything, so no need to worry about wildlife. I take my dog when I go out solo (so I suppose that's not solo?) and I've never had any issues, but then stumbling across a sleeping rottweiler and a bearded naked man in the bushes at 0300 would scare the crap out of most people I presume.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
Leigh - Reading your post I figured you were either somewhere in the rockies, chicago badlands or rain forest, eeek, Cambridge?

Be very aware that wandering through the woods at night you're just as likely to come across a policeman looking for louts as you are the louts themselves, and if they find you with a machete or knife you're likely to find yourself getting more than your collar felt..... yes legal stuff... knives re not in themselves illegal but if you're wandering around with a knife at hand clearly ready to use it (a defensive weapon is still an offensive weapon) and I'm pretty sure a machete at any time in public will be viewed badly

Being wary of the dark is actually more "normal" than not being scared, its our survival instinct to be wary of the things trying to eat s (T-rex, Lions, Bear and Unicorns)

In fact if you're not scared of the dark, you've clearly lost your bush instincts and scaredy cats like me are obviously better natural bushmen...... :)

And the only probing you're likely to come across is doggers....

Last edited:

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
People from the city, are often scared of the woods, as country folk are often scared in a city. I truly believe that i'm more safe in the woods at night, than in a city. So I guess that helps. I have spent nights out we're i have felt like i'm being watched, and not by wildlife. That can be strange.
Take your dog, he will sense anyone and give you warning of their approach.
Also if extra kit, gives you the confidence to go further, or stay out longer. Then i'm all for that, build up to longer periods with less kit, but until you are comfortable, i would take some home comforts, books or extra food, too occupy your mind at them moments.

CBarker

Aug 17, 2010
MK
Point i raised with a friend after moving to Manchester from a tiny village.

In the country when out in the woods at night you're 'scared' of bogeymen, eight headed monsters, man eating deer and other unreal things. You know it's not real in your heart of hearts although not to say it doesn't freak you out a bit!

In a city though it's muggers, drug addicts, perverts and nut jobs - things that are sadly real.

I think the perception is that danger is far more likely when people are more likely to be around. For example you might find an abandoned house in a city and not a chance you'd go in and poke about whereas in the woods if you found an unexplored/uninhabited cabin in the middle of nowhere you more than likely would at least poke a head in the window.

It's people that I think are what most people worry about, so all the advice about being off the beaten track and not in close proximity to routes through is more than enough.

Carrying a machete around though and suggesting this is some form of protection is madness. I'd say the risk of you causing a dangerous situation and therefore end up hurt, or responsible for someone else getting hurt, is far more likely to happen if you walk around with the knowledge your armed to the teeth. May cause you to get a bit power mad Rambo when otherwise you'd just quietly sneak off otherwise.

Although it's common knowledge all eight headed monsters like to eat anything hanging at convenient biting height or pre wrapped inside a nice tent shaped wrapper...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I find myself getting a little twitchy alone in tents, they just make me feel very vulnerable (which I am).
No visual on that weird shuffling sound, no fast exit. Im a lot more at ease in a hammock, even then I like
one side to back onto thick undergrowth or a barrier of some description :) (my cousin made me watch
American werewolf in London will baby sitting me when I was 9) things have never been the same :-D

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
My first night on my own i was scared in a tent so much i went home and blamed it on a split water bottle :p the second time i was in my new hammock and got woken up at about 5am by some mating deer (didnt know at the time) but i thought to myself ill make as much noise as possible to scare the animal off :p little did it help... never the less i feel safer with friends but always sleep with my knife...

stupotb

Jan 27, 2014
Plymouth
I don't know about "scared" but certainly I am "aware" of being alone. I guess it's just the newness at first, of being alone, in the dark, in unfamiliar territory. Since my early teens I have walked the moors during the night and have always found it a truly wonderful experience, and setting up camp with no lights just enhances that beauty. For 25 odd years I have trained 14 to 18 year olds for events on Dartmoor, making sure that they always get some night walking and camp set up in, and I always start by saying to them that the dark is their friend. We go torchless always because you can really see so much more.
I had one recent trip to Brianne, post chemotherapy so I could just about manage a few hundred yards to my set up, the only two trees in an entire plantation spaced right for the hammock. My only worry all night was whether a ranger would find me and tell me off... that and the dog who managed to wind himself up in para cord to such an extent that I had to coerce him into the hammock with me. This is when I discovered Newtons fourth law, that a dog can compound his body weight during the hours of darkness five fold, and that he can only be truly comfortable with his backside two inches from a humans face.

Best way of relaxing if you can't settle is to lie there and watch the sky with a rollie I find. Good luck either way Smokyjoe, and don't give up.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I think the reason some of us get scared sleeping out in the woods is that they are not for most of us our normal sleeping places. I only took up bushcraft a few years ago. I have only slept outside in the woods a dozen or so times and always with large gaps in-between trips so every time I do it seems strange in comparison to my comfy safe bed in my first floor flat I sleep in every night with a lock on the door.

I know statistically I'm more likely to be attacked in my city of London (I've witnessed twice someone in the back garden who was either a peeping tom or looking to break in to another flat) than sleeping under a tarp in the New Forest but statistics don't help in the wilderness when the wind's blowing down branches and animals are bellowing, crawling, hooting and screaming in the night. I can honestly say I'm too afraid to sleep in the woods on my own. I don't really like sleeping with only one other person there. I much prefer there are three of us in case (and I know this is ridiculous) the attacker kills one of us so there are still two of us to fight him off (yes, I said it is ridiculous!).

I use a tarp and while this is no different in terms of safety to a tent there is something to be said with zipping the fly shut. It's the head under the covers mentality of childhood I guess. I like the suggestion someone made of sleeping with your back against something solid like a rock but that's rarely possible in the forest. I wonder if in primitive hunter gatherer societies there was always someone on watch through the night.

I am a scaredy cat. I don't even like sleeping in the car while someone else drives because I'm not in control of the situation. Don't get me started on flying! I think fear comes from childhood, from the behaviour of parents and the security one feels as a child because of their actions.

So, my reasons for being afraid are the lack of control; the strangeness of the situation. When I first moved into my flat and lived alone I'd sometimes wake up afraid. It took a while to get used to being alone and I think the same would occur with someone sleeping alone in the woods, but I'll be buggered if I'm going to go through fear to become acclimatised.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Camped up and static I've never really been too scared. Climbing off mountains, usually unroped in places where a slip etc would mean death, I always found comfort in the dark, doing stuff routinely that I'd really have to think about in daylight.

I've had more than my share of scares mind, walking those very dark and lonely haunted highland roads, usually on my jack jones :(
Never run, is perhaps the best advice, that way lies terror.

During the great drunk driving purge of the mid 80's I found myself tasked with mobilizing a recently jilted family friend, "get him out of his bed and over here christmas eve" were my instructions. This chap was holed up in his illegally sited, but with permission, caravan. I arrived early and informed him of the plan and that his mother requested his presence that night. I sat and I sat but he wasn't for shifting, I'd sat so long because he was my lift.

So, there I was out on granny's most haunted with 10miles to walk an hour from midnight, very few cars on the road and none stopping. I had a brain wave, before I left the village's single point of illumination, the phone box, I called another pal who lived nearby and begged a bed for the night. He agreed and he offered to run me the rest of the way in the morning, he couldn't come and get me though, as he'd been drinking and with Sergeant Gillies on the war path, it was a no go.

So now with 2 or 4 miles, depending on route and bravery levels, to walk I set off.

Up the brae of the bochan, past the loch of the each uisge, past the spot of the banshee, eyes to the ground and fingers in my ears least I saw or heard her, as there's no luck in that.

With that past me I started down the other side of the hill, round a bend and there was the house lights of the next village, well if 10 house a village makes ;) a little further and I could see the street light by the school bus shelter.

As I made my way towards the light I was heartened to hear the kids singing gaelic psalms, the sound getting nearer as if to mark my progress and as it was soon behind me I neared the village, which is set some way back from the road. I rested by the bus stop, route decision time was on me.

Did I go round the road to the station, 2 miles and more ghosts, the black dog being the worst, or did I take to the bog for the shortcut? The most haunted bit but only around 500 yards from where I stood to where I needed to be. Emboldened by the presence of my fellow man in close-ish proximity and with the singing fading, I took the latter option.

Soon I was sat by my pals hearth, although the bog route wasn't without issue especially in the dark with just the spark of a clipper lighter to assist navigating the most hazardous spots.

At 12 on the dot, old Feracer (Farquhar) next door came through with a bottle of whisky, he poured us all a measure and we toasted the arrival of christmas. Turning to me, still flush with the earlier exertion about my gills, he asked me where I could possibly have been walking at that time of night? So I told him and he couldn't believe it, I'd walk the bog, at night and in the dark, bad enough the road, but nobody walks the bog at night. Well I just had, and without a torch.

I explained I'd taken comfort from the lights of the neighbouring village and the sining of the kids, so decided to just go for it. It was difficult but flicking the lighter behind me was just enough to let me see and navigate the worst of it.

He told me that when he was a boy (he was in his 80's old Fachie) christmas wasn't a holiday, the field my pals caravan was parked in was the old school yard, the adjacent building, the old school. Apparently the teachers would walk the kids from the area over the brae to the school for a midnight service with the kids from that village, en route there and back they'd sing psalms and hyms, thats how christmas was marked for the kids in the late 1800's early 1900's.

"Well boy! you better take another dram because I think you were hearing voices from yesterday". "There are only two kids in the village over the way, and neither have any gaelic"; a shiver ran up my spine, and it's doing it now again as I type this.

So, a ghost story and one of several that I have. There I was jumping at my own shadow dreading a ghostly encounter then taking courage from just such an encounter. After that I was never scared to walk the road on my own, as others have said; there's nothing to fear but fear it's self.

Last edited:

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Not done any "wild" camping yet but I would be pretty nervous. Last year was my first solo camping trip at Aysgarth. Nice quiet little field at the back of a hotel. Pretty civilised really but I did feel vulnerable the first night but it was about the possibility of some drunken nutters having a laugh at my expense and doing something nasty to me and my tent. It didn't happen of course. It did make me realise how exposed and vulnerable I was compared to being at home. The thin cotton walls of the tent might give you a false sense of security but only because you can't see what's going on out there so "out of sight out of mind". But if you're a bit paranoid it might work the opposite and make you feel more vulnerable that you can't see what's going on. My approach is to build my confidence slowly and do a few solo camping trips in out of the way, quiet but "proper" campsites first. Just to get used to being on my own and making all my own decisions etc and getting used to the feel and sounds of the countryside. Then work up from there to eventually camping in woods etc.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Really liked the micro adventures site though I have to say some of them were more like mega adventures. Great philosophy though and I'm starting a list of my own possible mini-micro adventures.

You might also like to look at this site. If you're scared of wild camping see what this guy gets up to. http://100wildhuts.blogspot.co.uk/

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Is it me or does any one els feel scared when camping out in the wood on your own? I mean I waking up really paranoid and spooked out, is that normal. If it is what do you do to help yourself relax?

No, never scared, I have slept in a very very old forest in Eastern Europe and that was the only time I felt slightly ill at ease, this was in bear country but it wasn't that.

I once had a goat step on my head in the middle of the night, it was more terrified than I was, and a couple of young boar once ran under my tarp guy lines, that had me up and on edge just in case their daddy was around.

In the UK, there isn't really anything to worry about, other than people and they are usually quite friendly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE