Soldering in the woods

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Handy stuff there........When I was a kid I used to buy old valve radios and radiograms on the markets and strip them out of the cabinets, then fettle them together and build new cabs for them and the speakers; that was the only way I could afford to have the enormous luxury of a stereo system for my records and an amp for my home-made guitar. Every penny I could scrape together went on the stuff I couldn't make for myself, so I used all sorts of set-ups for soldering until an uncle bought me a proper soldering iron......

The good old days? Hhhhhmmmmmm, I'm still not sure :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The old school big lumps of copper soldering irons are plentiful on carboots, usually for peanuts. If anyone's into flint knapping they are a good source of mallet heads, or if you just want a copper mallet for general engineering, cheaper than getting a Thor, ok you'll have to shape it some but its easy to work.

atb

Tom

PS I cheat and use a old/spare electric soldering iron when I'm using pine resin glue. The one I use is the smallest/ least hot sort. You can get irons that run off car battery voltage, I picked one up NOS from a army stores. Just need to fit a cigarette lighter plug to the other end. I admit I didn't realise it wasn't mains voltage at the time, I thought I just needed to slap on a 3 pin plug. Good job I read the label before I did.

i sort of regret not picking up a unissued 1950s field soldering kit. I couldn't justify it but it was a lovely
thing, a tin box with irons, a brazier thing and all these solid fuel packs that fitted into the brazier to heat it for x number of minutes.

The tool guy on Haslinden Sunday carboot usually has unissued government issue irons on his stall, very cheap. I've ended up with three sizes for no good reason at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE