Socks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi Chaps,

Quite a simple request really. Im looking for socks that have been tried and tested. I always have to wear two layers of socks (if not 3) due to oversized boots and I love the warm feeling. So thick socks are most welcomed. Any links are an advantage.

Which socks would you recommend a fellow bushcrafter?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i wear british army socks pretty much every day (im even wearing them now lol). iv got two types, desert socks and really wooly arctic ones:D iv been wearing the first lot i bought for nearly 2 years now and they have hardly worn at all even though they have been inside big heavy chainsaw safty boots most of the time.

cost me £5 for 3 pairs (new) at the war & peace show but im sure you can get them online.

pete

http://www.millets.co.uk/product/010767.html

these? £14 a pair at the moment, tad steep but look really good I must say!

Blimey, I wouldn't pay that much. they are not the same as mine and I can't find them on the 1000 mile website either, they must have been discontinued stock. Mine have no ribbing and a white inner sock and og outer. you can get 1000 mile socks for £6-7 online from a few sites. I am very happy with them but others will have their own favourites.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Combat socks, get em from all good Army and navy stores, 65% wool 35% nylon with a padded sole.
like wearing kittens on your feet!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Arctic socks with the red stripe round the top are great, Endicott's do them as well as other surplus shops. Aldi had some decent wool ones this summer, 3 pairs for a fiver. Haven't tried them yet but they feel nice and thick with a high wool content.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thanks for reply's guys!

I wear 2 pairs for a snug fit. even if I just wore 1 pair, my foot wont move about (they arnt that big, just 1/2 size too big). Also I traditionally wear double layers for the warmth), I just need decent socks that are thick as the ones i wear now are traditional sports socks which are thin. No point throwing away £100 boots because they require an extra sock now :)

I will keep en eye out for the ones mentioned above. many thanks chaps!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you're not bothered about colour, the MOD arctic socks are superb, the creamy coloured wool ones with the red band around the top are the ones to go for.

ebay linky

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I use the "commando" socks every day for work, i spend a lot of time on my feet, and they last for ever, and are usualy £10(or cheaper)for 3prs.
However i did get some merrino wool socks from go outdoors, also £10 for 3prs, and they are lovely to wear.

Rob

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have said this time and time again, is no one listening :-D

The best socks I have found anywhere in the world and money can buy bar non

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...hForm&N=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=socks&Ntt=socks

"delux cold weather socks" the name says it all, there are 311 reviews of this sock on cabelas and they rate them on average at 4.8 out of 5% enough said, I have had the two pairs i bought in minneapolis for the last two years and they are still going strong. I asked the wife to buy in bulk, give them to her mum and dad and a pair for my christmas and birthday every year would keep me more than happy.

be warned if your boots are a one pair of sock boot, you wont get your feet and these socks in there, i looked at just about every sock in the uk worth looking at before going to canada 1 week after ice off and bought the best, when i dropped into cabelas i found there were even better ones there, and these were the best of the bunch

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
too much nylon(25%) in the army Artic socks for me -- got to be near as possible 100% natural fabrics or my feet get sweaty and itch (except some high wicking socks with running shoes).

Same here - drove me bananas.

Most comfortable socks I've had so far are woolen walking socks from Tesco and no blisters.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I have had a couple of pairs of 1000 mile socks and they have barely done 100 miles before getting holed.

Bridgedale work for me, socks for pretty much every occasion and always last me well.
My favourites though are a pair of woollen sea boot type socks I purchased from an outdoor shop in Abingdon about 10 years ago which are still going strong, unfortunately I don't know who made them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE