socks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
right on the mark pibbleb. if it works it works. most expensive socks are a total con. the only ones which have been worth their price tag are the 1000 mile socks, when used as a liner. sometimes these discussions get a touch serious but most importantly they're open to anything, so no worries there. ahh yes, the standing on broken toy test, i know this well, it's like testing off road tyres. by the way your signature is very funny :D

ian

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
GoatBoy666 said:
Try the smartwool range,
imo they are by far the most reliable sock.
Pricey kit but worth the xtra.
They seem to last and last.

Not for me they didn't. Fell apart much too quickly for my liking. The washing destructions said just bung 'em in your normal wash (40C) but I'm thinking that might not be best.
Either way I won't be buying anymore Smartwool gear, way too expensive for a product that disintegrates within months.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Lurch said:
Not for me they didn't. Fell apart much too quickly for my liking. The washing destructions said just bung 'em in your normal wash (40C) but I'm thinking that might not be best.
Either way I won't be buying anymore Smartwool gear, way too expensive for a product that disintegrates within months.

i would contact Smartwool and see what they say, I've got about 4 sets and one pair has lasted over 2 years and with numerous mountain walks. Can't hurt to drop em an email.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Lurch,
I agree with Lithril, give smartwool a call. I wear the socks and have a couple of tops and have had no problems at all. On my primitive living coures I wore the same pair of socks for 5/6 days, they were great with no smell, I would normally change my socks every day but there was no need as long as I washed and powdered my feet daily. I wash the socks on a 40 and have had nothing go wrong with them.

Brian

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
speedstar said:
Hello All

...So what socks do you guys use?...

Thanks Rob

Hello speedstar,

My only experience of 'performance' socks are a brand called Ullfrotté. The best I've ever owned. I recomend that if you wash them in a washing machine, wash them without washing powder, and turn them inside-out.

Quote:

200g/M² Golf/Multi-Sport/Running
400g/M² Skiing/Multi-Sport/Walking
600g/M² Protection/Treking/Climbing
800g/M² Survival/Insulation/Expedition

Best regards,
Paul.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
I was never impressed with smartwool they seemed to be full o' oles in no time at all.
Have to admit they did feel luxurious when they were new, and if i had a more understanding bank manager id probably keep getting them.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
maverix said:
I was never impressed with smartwool they seemed to be full o' oles in no time at all.
Have to admit they did feel luxurious when they were new, and if i had a more understanding bank manager id probably keep getting them.

OK :)

Best regards,
Paul.

Smartwool all the way.

I have two pairs and they have seen me through the winter. They are so comfortable that I sometimes keep them in reserve favouring other socks for a few days, then when I'm really tired, cold and miserable I put them on and it is a complete luxury.

I love 'em.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Ditch Monkey said:
Smartwool all the way.

I have two pairs and they have seen me through the winter. They are so comfortable that I sometimes keep them in reserve favouring other socks for a few days, then when I'm really tired, cold and miserable I put them on and it is a complete luxury.

I love 'em.

Hello Ditch Monkey,

Majorly comfy, a great moral booster (When you find yourself in a ditch<g>)!

Best regards,
Paul.

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
Smartwool socks are great, £13 a pair is not a bad price to me, I have some that are four yours old this summer.

They have seen a lot of use, day to day walking the dog, hill walking including trips up Helvellyn, Snowdonia etc

Mine get bunged in with the general clothes wash and have no holes, perhaps you have an issue with the fit of your boots?

speedstar

Forager
May 28, 2005
lincs
sorry for the slow reply everyone i have had a hard 4 days at work. I hav got soem of the 1000 mile socks and some other to try. once thay have had some testing i will get back to every one. but i think it is going to get down to personal prefarance (sp).

Thanks everyone for the help..

And yes you all do :You_Rock_ :lmao:

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE