socks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

speedstar

Forager
May 28, 2005
lincs
Hello All

I am on a misson to get some new socks over the next few days.

So what socks do you guys use?

I currently use hj commandos.

Thanks Rob

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Socks? Welllllll......that depends.

If I'm wearing my jungle boots and I know I'll be walking through water, I wear one pair of thick woolen socks. Thick because jungle boots don't have much cushioning. And one pair because two pairs in jungle boots give me bad blisters.

For my mountaineering boots, I start with a pair of DuPont Coolmax liner socks or polypropylene liner socks. Over those go either a pair of medium weight synthetics, or if the weather is to be really cold, then I substitute the synthetics for a thick pair of terry cloth knit woolen "Canadian winter" socks.

Adam

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Coolmax type liners really irritate my feet for some reason...
As I have size 12 feet, I have problems buying socks that fit comfortably without riding down my heels, so for every day use I buy Bridgedale hiking socks in various guises and they are dead comfy. I even wear them when walking too!!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Yup,
Me too, Bridgedales or Brashers, the "1000 mile" merinos are good too - I would never have thought that a different pair of socks could make such a difference to walking - but believe me it does.

ATB

Ogri the trog

speedstar

Forager
May 28, 2005
lincs
Hi lads thanks for the help

I to have size 12 fet and have the same problem with the commandos so i turn them over the top of my boots I tend to wear very high cut boots. I will have to get a pair tomoz i work 4 on 4 off but working weekends sucks.

I will give some o the mentioned i try

Thanks Rob

Sorry about the sp.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Commando socks (the big thick green ones?) do come in 11-13 size, and fit me a treat. It's just that the toe seam rubs one of my toes like mad so I use them for motorbiking only nowadays. Bridgdales (in XL size) much better..

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
extremities mountain toasters without doubt my number one socks still using some that are a good 8 years old. failing that the Bridgedales.

Trouble is tracking them down everyone wants them and no one stocks them. Probably because they dont come with some fancy POS or other incentives.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
issued arctic socks cant beat them, worn them round the UK and into North Africa with no problems plus being a really manky off white colour they dont show the dirt and.
lou

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I used to use the thousand mile socks but was told that the ptfe liner between the two layers can sometimes crease and split and cut into your foot??? Not sure if thats true but decided to give Smartwool socks a go and they're fantastic. If I could afford enough pairs I'd use em every day (oh and if they did them in black for work ;) ) They're very comfortable and when you first put them on they're like walking on a cushion.

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
Try the smartwool range,
imo they are by far the most reliable sock.
Pricey kit but worth the xtra.
They seem to last and last.
Wear them for a week and they hardly smell. Try that with most man-made fibres and your feet will be humming a tune after 1 day and by day 5 you will floating on the funk.
I tend to use a brasher BTS liner with them to.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Lithril, did you just say 1000 mile socks have a ptfe liner?!? I have a couple of pairs and i'm pretty sure they don't. Have they brought this in with newer designs or something? I don't have any problem with mine anyway. Are you thinking of Sealskinz, because they might have a ptfe lining?

I have some bridgedales, they're ok, not particularly hardy though, and I like high wool content socks and i can get a thick 80% wool pair at the market for a couple of quid, whereas the Explorers i have cost me 8 quid and are only 65% wool socks. the more 'technical' socks have the advantage of a decent fit over cheap socks but they're still overpriced, and i find that they lose their springiness pretty quick too (due to all that fine loop back knitting probably).

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
If I'm thinking about the same ones, the the thousand mile ones are the twin layer, with one moving against your foot and the other the boot? If they are I'm pretty sure there is a non slip lining between the two layers. Could be wrong though, either way smartwools winning my vote, just wish they weren't quite as expensive :p

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
well it would seem to make sense on the anti-friction side of things but my original 1000 mile socks definately don't! and ptfe would of course be waterproof...and less breathable if you're after normal socks. i better do some research!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Hi

I know this is a serious discussion about socks, but this is seriously what I do, however, on reading this I'm wondering if I'm off the mark. Having said that I've never had any problems whilst out and about in the UK.

My Gran know's I like 'being outside' so once or twice a year she buys me socks form her local market in County Durham. First off yes I'm 33 but I'm her first Grandchild so she loves me the most so what! Secondly I'm not proud I'll accept freebies.

Anyway when the package arrives, usually with a groan and moan of 'not more socks' I'll wear a pair around the house for a day like slippers, if they don't cause me any problems and withstand chasing kids and standing on broken toys I move to stage two of the test.

I where them to work. I work in an over hot office, again if my feet are ok from this I'll wear them on a tentative hike. If all is well then they are a keeper!!

So the up shot is apart from some old army socks I kept when I left, the rest of mine are market socks bought by my loving Gran and they have never let me down yet.

Pib, Sorry for the long post!

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
I used to think that tennis socks (cotton and cheap... :) ) were the ultimate in footwear...

Nowadays I use two pairs (liner and thicker...) on top of each other....I find the main thing to look for is;

1.) perfect fit
2.) absolutely no cotton
3.) synthetics and wool provide the best combination...wicking, warmth etc.

I wear hiking boots up to 330 days a year in varying conditions...from -40 to +30 degrees C in both dry and wet conditions. This is what works for me...

I don`t think I`ve ever even owned a pair of brand socks (other than what I`ve used in gear testing for various outdoor magazines..)...I just buy the cheapest and make do...

Marko

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Pibbleb,

Don't be bashful about having a great Grandmother. Mine is 75 and absolutely loves me to pieces, as well as spoiling me rotton. And besides, one can never have enough socks!

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE