socks socks socks!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Trying tae find affordable socks is a nightmare for me especially with everything that is out there promoting 'high tech' socks that seem ludicrous to me and are often waaay too expensive especially when you factor in that a fair sized trek may require several pairs at the least. Im looking for preferably completely woollen chunky/thick socks or the closest to and all my finds seem tae end up around £15 a pair even on ebay. with all the bargains on offer for other wool products why are socks the most expensive when comparing the amount of material used? :S

I ask if anybody could recommend anywhere/anything that could be considered cheap wool socks

did come across these merinos: http://www.moorlandhosiery.com/index.php?cPath=1&gclid=CMPG6reGxakCFcEd4QodXDn5EA
Anybody have any experience with them? 100% merino cheap and cheerful seems rather good. nae affiliation etc

Much thanks, Hamish

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'm shocked at the price of wool socks too.

One of my neighbours, a lovely auld dearie, knits so I'm going to ask her if she'll knit me some like my late Gran used to do.

Even buying wool and a box of cadbury's roses is got to be cheaper.

Dreadhead, I've a mate who looks just like you. His wife left him last week taking his satelite TV system and Bob Marley collection.

he's gutted - no woman no Sky.

Liam

Dreadhead

Dreadhead, I've a mate who looks just like you. His wife left him last week taking his satelite TV system and Bob Marley collection.

he's gutted - no woman no Sky.

Liam

HAHA! and now drenched in coffee....i agree i thought about getting a wee sock knitting kit myself but if you happen tae stumble upon a scruff like me in the woods would you be mare intimidated by him carving a spoon with a sharp knife or knitting socks with a wolfish grin?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's not rocket science lads :D
Sally in Wales posted a really, really good tutorial and pattern.
Pure wool makes brilliant socks, and if it is pure, it will felt a bit with the heat and moisture of your feet to become the best fitting pair you'll ever wear.

I'll see if I can find a link.

cheers,
Toddy

Dreadhead

Ian - wearing a kilt daily for several years i found myself going through hose far too fast! theyre long, wooly and comfy, but the heels wore out within weeks so i ended up just wearing regular wool socks.

Toddy - Nice link, and yeah the wool socks im wearing right now acually have felted up into the comfiest socks iv ever worn. cannae beat wool :)

Robbi - iv seen various socks like those which looks great but as i said in OP im really looking for wool as iv personally never got on with synthetic socks but hey might grab a pair and test them out anyways!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See the wool hose ? they're not made for hard wear, what you want are shooting socks, or the plain undyed white woollen ones that the navy used to use for their Arctic trips.

Wool socks darn easily, just weave a matching weight wool in and over the thin bit until it's sound again.
It can be done so that it's invisible, but tbh, just make it a sound job and it'll do fine.

cheers,
M

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
The wool arctic socks my Gran knitted for us in winter - no central heating, lino floors etc.

Modern mixes leave an unsightly and irritated line around my ankles.

Wool is the way, thanks for the links Mary.

Liam

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ian - wearing a kilt daily for several years i found myself going through hose far too fast! theyre long, wooly and comfy, but the heels wore out within weeks so i ended up just wearing regular wool socks.

Fair dos - I only wear them when its cold so they don't get that much use down here in sub-tropical West Yorkshire.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Kilt hose used to be really, really good, sometimes you can find ex-army ones that still are, but more and more they're machine knitted rubbish tbh. Just wear for the dress up rather than everyday use.
Shame.

cheers,
M

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Why not try making some footwraps?

Been trying them around the house and garden for a few days, supprisingly comfortable, but if they do start to ruck under your foot, they need sorting out sharpish!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE