So, Who's been watching "Dual Survival" and what do you think of it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dave Canterbury (Wilderness-outfitters-archery Pathfinder School) and Cody Lundin (Desert Survival Guru) have joined forces to show us all how to survive in various places & situations around the planet! Sound familiar?
I have actually enjoyed it for the most part although there are some suspect bits & pieces that I personally wouldn't do...like chase after deadly snakes & fight alligators!
But what's your opinion on this show?

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Love it and find it really entertaining. I find the contast in characters between Dave and Cody and their approach to survival really interesting.

I've just bought Cody Lundin's book and it's a good read and supports alot of what he says in the series as well.

Like he says on his website some of it is staged for TV as with all programmes of this nature but I don't think it detracts from the quality of the show at all.

I think the idea of sticking these guys in situations that potentially would put your average Joe in potentially a survival situation with just the kit that would be available at the time is a good concept.

Yup I'm sure there will be some haters but for my money I like the show.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Afraid it annoys me,99% of most of it done before, i find the narrator's vioce grates on me and the big hippy one of the two,i really cant make my mind up on him,have'nt watched a full one through, id even go as far as to say id rather watch a B/G prog more.

finished the season and i really enjoyed it. but like every show like that i would take it with a pinch of salt. in fact cody lundin has a piece about survival type shows on his website which is an interesting read http://www.codylundin.com/survive_tv.html. downloaded a sample of his book on kindle and i think ill end up gettin them, iv also watched a lot of dave canterburys stuff on youtube and i found alot of it very interesting.

I do agree with andybysea that the narrators voice gets a bit much at times though. i downloaded it and i'm glad of that becacuse iv tried watching it on discovery and you get 5 mins of programme then a 2 min clip of whats coming next then a 10 min ad break, ok i exaggerate a little but you get the idea. all in all i would watch it all again.

In fairness to the networks, anyone who bases their preparedness program on a television show should probably leave the gene pool anyway. Does watching a football game on TV mean you know how to throw a football?

Last edited:

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I'm reading Cody's book (98.6 Degrees) and he's a very accomplished and knowledgeable guy. I have a lot of respect for him and the fact that he thinks a lot of survival is now all about books written by living room experts and too focused on the kit.
In the show I feel Cody's laid back and thoughtful process is a great balance to the action man, attack things at 100mph mentality of Dave :)

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
it started out ok for me, i like the idea of 2 presentors, showing different angles of looking at stuff, but think maybe if they had been doing it solo and showed both approaches and the gains and losses to see who would have survived. its a shame that the two have slipped into this husband and wife relationship, ones at camp always getting shelter built and a fire going and manly man goes out and gets MMMEEAATT!
just feel its started to slip into a predictable beat, also, whats with the programming of it on the channel, i keep seeing repeats on saturday afternoon after work that aren't what i saw on the monday?? think i've also missed some by the looks of it.

does anyone else think the narrator sounds like 'Fat Tony' from the simpsons? lol, i keep expecting him to say 'no no no, when you do it like that i get stabby!'

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
In the show I feel Cody's laid back and thoughtful precess is a great balance to the action man, attack things at 100mph mentality of Dave :)

I really agree with this, I have a lot of respect for Codey as he has a lot of theory to back up everything he does and 99% of the time it works well and he does seem to be the more laid back type who's happy in all surroundings. As for Dave I think it really goes downhill, he has failed miserably doin pretty simple tasks eg. The Arizona episode where he failed to make charcloth, that should be easy fo someone like him and the fact that he is a major risk taker annoys me too :rant:

Mat30

Oct 15, 2010
Orpington, Kent
Just watching right now, recorded from discovery at least that way i can edit the pesky adverts. I quite like it, in as much as the two very different views that you get from them. I don't think however that it will be particularly long running.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
I enjoy it a lot. I usually watch it twice so I can pick up the bits I missed the first time when my nipper is tearing the place up. I like both of the blokes as they both bring something different to the table. Cody lives it, he is also very intelligent and always has the background knowledge to back it up.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
im watching it with interest to i like the way they both approach things in a different way its a good show havent read the books but would like to regards dave

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I've really enjoyed it so far. The fact that there is a two person dynamic to the simulated scenarios has been something really different to the usual 'one presenter shows you how it should be done' (all due respect to the likes of Mears, Stroud and even Grylls). Cody's sense of humour and laid back attitude has been very entertaining.

Dave, given his military experience, can obviously look after himself but it's telling that whenever something that required some skill or specific knowledge had to be done then it is Cody that has to step up. No doubt Dave would survive without Cody, but Cody has made it made it go smoother for the both of them in the main I feel.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I've been watching it and enjoying it for what it is.
But I watch it knowing that what you see is planned and that the presenters are probably not being natural, but there are the odd sections that you can learn from.

Ive respect for the two blokes, but its starting to get that Cody is asleep half the time and finding everything hard work after half a day, and Dave is biting his lip all the time trying to stay calm while he cracks on and gives things a go.

I'm sure both know more and are better at skills than they are letting on in the show, as they are pretending to be Joe public mixed with "this is how you could sort this problem out according to the book"

I'd still rather these shows were made even if they aren't perfect for all though. :)

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I like it, far better than Bear Grylls' nonsense, not as Informative as Ray ,personally I like Les Stroud's survivor man he's doing it for real in every show, no camera crew or mars bars in sight.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I thoroughly enjoy the poles apart dynamic between the two and it was interesting to see how their interaction with one another evolved over the series.

I don't like some of the gung-ho stuff, but you have to have some drama or we'd all nod off...

What I wasn't prepared for was some of the monumental cock-ups or general off-the-rails stuff. Not sure whether this is the result of the show director or whether the pair of them do contrive to cross lines they shouldn't.

I was also very interested to watch Cody shine in the desert episode and disappointed that he didn't.

A true mixed bag but very entertaining which, I would argue, is the entire point.

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA
I quite enjoy Cody, his background and his books, however the stunt of Dave Canterbury's self-inflicted cut for mending bit, was a game changer for me on this series. In fact it is not likely I will watch it again.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I like it. I take it with a pinch of salt. I feel it is a little over hyped about the 2 guys being at conflict with each other. In fact I see a great deal of mutual respect and admission that sometimes one is the expert at the environment they are in. But that's just me.

But the no shoes thing I think would drive me a little mad.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Surprisingly, I thought it was great. I was expecting to find Cody Lundin a PITA, but I actually ended up really liking the guy - aside from the no shoes nonsense. Entertaining, informative and much less irritating than BG.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE