So, Who's been watching "Dual Survival" and what do you think of it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
pretty awsome, a bit like wife swap crossed with bear grylls but much less annoying.
Dave canterbury is an absolute machine and just seems to power through everything stabbit alligators and the like. Cody is alot more cautious yet highly skilled.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Interesting views, very much for the most part the same as mine. For me it just shows how different attitudes and approaches to the same goals can work.

Geordie9

Forager
Oct 25, 2010
Hampshire
Agree with earlier comments on the programme growing on me, although I am still not too sure about Cody's no shoe philosophy. I enjoy the way that both Dave and Cody approach the situations differantly and although they may not agree with how the other does things you can see the respect they have for the other knowledge.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
What I found particularly interesting was the 'just work towards a solution' attitude without needless belabouring when things went spectacularly wrong. Nice to see very different personalities and approaches being able to compliment one another, particularly in overcoming fears and relying on your partners superior skill and knowledge when yours is lacking in some situations.

I've not made my mind up yet whether there is a lot of careful editing going on but the balance seems weighted in Dave's direction (despite the gator-killing and whatnot) and I did not expect that.

I am very surprised that there aren't injuries when we see Dave throw himself into things the way he does - I understand his approach but it could so often tip in either direction, which is needless risk when you can least afford to take them.

Thoroughly enjoyable for the most part, and hard to find fault with really.

If Man, Woman, Wild had followed this formula and used two people who actually know what they are doing without the artificially staged 'Corey Feldman' voice (The Lost Boys) in a vain attempt to dramatise the unremarkable and uninteresting then it might actually hold water.

I hope we see a lot more from the pair of them and I would like to see at least one show devoted to each as individuals.

Thumbs up :D

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I quite like it, and have become quite a fan of Dave Canterbury's youtube site as a result. Maybe it's time for another cross-over, we could get the 2 of them on this narrow boat...

It's a really great show and I have enjoyed the epsiodes thoroughly, as a matter of fact it is light years better than the bumpf Mears is presenting these days and is much superior to Bare Girls, only the earlier series of survivorman can compare in quality. I have a profound respect for Cody Lundin as he lives 24/7 what he preaches, recycling his water and living in a bio house, he practises what he preaches and I don't think anybody on here has a right to grumble when the man has a set of standards that puts the rest of us to shame..I hope theres many more series to come.

Last edited:

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
season 2 has been announced if nobody knew :)
I love the show, Bear Grylls is alright but now I have seen dual survival and looked into both characters work I can pick up things better from them
I actually thought Codys 'mostly no shoe' policy is cool and puts a more natural swing on things. I love the 'more you know the less you need'.
It is a TV show at the end of the day but its still great
I personally think Dave excels at killing as he was a sniper and has been a hunter for ages. Bit simplistic but just my opinion
Cody would happily eat cactus fruit and not touch a trap
Good combination and cant wait for the next

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Good viewing, I like this kind of stuff but the no footwear lark is a joke, attention seeking or whatever, there's something amiss there...apart from the shoes.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
Ive been enjoying it & have taped it for the wee men who have liked it as well. The only thing I find annoying is the music they play to enhance the drama, its a bit intrusive.

After the alligator episode I found the patio covered in homemade spears, I asked the wife where the kids had got the knives & found out they'd taken the SAKs off the car keyrings & she'd just let 'em get on with it ( cue blunt knives which I made them assist in sharpening)

I enjoy Cody getting thorns etc in his feet for some twisted reason. I look forward to a second series

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
It's a definite hit for me, I do like how they even each other out. Cody is a slow thought out process and Dave shows that sometimes you need to just fight through. They definitely both know their own fields and that shines through in the show. It may be over dramatised but it works for me. Two thumbs up.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
The only thing missing is Curley, the third stooge. No really, not too bad of a program, the interaction between the 2 different personalities is amusing. We have a new season starting April 22nd here in the US, looking foward to it. Cheers!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I grew tired of it after a few episodes. The grammar is so bad they even make words up. Even though the last few episodes were on the TV on autoview, I found myself doing other stuff and not watching it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have'nt read all this thread but Youtubed Cody Lundin to death this morning and liked his teaching style and 'way'

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The show is not meant to be a tutorial so as long as I watch it as entertainment then its great. Having worked with TV I have learned to accept that what looked great gets edited to death and the final cut is often far from what you displayed.

If it gets people interested in the outdoors and learning new skills great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE