So what goes in a ..........................?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Traditionally a possibles pouch was what backwoodsmen and pioneers used to keep their bits in that made life in extreme wilderness conditions possible. The bits were usually flint and steel, percussion caps, shot and maybe one or two other personal items.

Nowadays it's just stuff you need to have at hand to make life more comfortable.

Eric

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Also, usually sugar, coffee, and salt. Basically, its a daypack, but in pouch form.
amazing what we carry today, compared to the pioneers and backwoodsmen of old.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I carry the following (I never posted on the maxpedition thread - so I figure I'm ok to do so here).

Waterproof Notebook and spare pencil
Locking SAK
Small Torch and spare battery
Matches
Tinder
One of those big orange survival bags
Some kendal mint cake
A small survival tin - The cheaper BCB one
Small first aid kit
A small battery charger for my mobile
Monocular
Firesteel
Paracord

Basically this is all the stuff I need to survive on Dartmoor - where I walk a lot when I'm on holiday - if my daysack gets lost / nicked. It fixes to my belt and never leaves it. But I occassionally put my daysack down and who knows what could happen.

In my day sack I have the following (or may be wearing it - depending on the weather)

Gaiters
Hat
Gloves
Waterproof Overtrousers
Waterproof Jacket
Food
Water
Cup and Brew Kit
Bigger First Aid Kit
Saw and Clipper (though the clipper is often on my belt in Dougsters fine sheath)
More Paracord

In my pockets I will have the following

Maps and Compass (Occasionally a GPS unit if I'm out for a longer time)
Snacks
Mobile
Wallet
Small (UK Legal) SAK
Birch bark, and assorted other stuff (Stuff as in "What's this junk in your pockets?" if you ask SWMBO).

As I walk on Dartmoor and in the middle of nowhere on my own a lot I always take everything I may need if I have to spend the night out. If I do intend to be out overnight I'll add slightly different food, a stove, a sleeping bag and my little tent to the mix.

It seems like a lot - but I don't mind carrying some weight and I like to have some home comforts about me. It essentially all fits into a very small pack (I use a forces daysack by highlander) and a small belt pouch thing that I picked up for £2.99 from a Morrisons Petrol Station and a couple of pockets.

My golden rule is - If I'm out for a few hours and I get lost or the mist descends on the moor - what will I need to be ok until it lifts.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I carry the following (I never posted on the maxpedition thread - so I figure I'm ok to do so here).

Waterproof Notebook and spare pencil
Locking SAK
Small Torch and spare battery
Matches
Tinder
One of those big orange survival bags
Some kendal mint cake
A small survival tin - The cheaper BCB one
Small first aid kit
A small battery charger for my mobile
Monocular
Firesteel
Paracord

Basically this is all the stuff I need to survive on Dartmoor - where I walk a lot when I'm on holiday - if my daysack gets lost / nicked. It fixes to my belt and never leaves it. But I occassionally put my daysack down and who knows what could happen.

In my day sack I have the following (or may be wearing it - depending on the weather)

Gaiters
Hat
Gloves
Waterproof Overtrousers
Waterproof Jacket
Food
Water
Cup and Brew Kit
Bigger First Aid Kit
Saw and Clipper (though the clipper is often on my belt in Dougsters fine sheath)
More Paracord

In my pockets I will have the following

Maps and Compass (Occasionally a GPS unit if I'm out for a longer time)
Snacks
Mobile
Wallet
Small (UK Legal) SAK
Birch bark, and assorted other stuff (Stuff as in "What's this junk in your pockets?" if you ask SWMBO).

As I walk on Dartmoor and in the middle of nowhere on my own a lot I always take everything I may need if I have to spend the night out. If I do intend to be out overnight I'll add slightly different food, a stove, a sleeping bag and my little tent to the mix.

It seems like a lot - but I don't mind carrying some weight and I like to have some home comforts about me. It essentially all fits into a very small pack (I use a forces daysack by highlander) and a small belt pouch thing that I picked up for £2.99 from a Morrisons Petrol Station and a couple of pockets.

My golden rule is - If I'm out for a few hours and I get lost or the mist descends on the moor - what will I need to be ok until it lifts.

wow bigs the pouch :eek:

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
He he. That would have been me a few years back. Now I'll skip the fags and have a nice single malt instead.

PS. I'll post pics tomorrow - it was just too nice out tonight so I went off for a walk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE