So Tomorrow i find out if i have to look for another job...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
(indeed finding the new org chart with names left on a printer as I did once gives great ammunition).

Ha...I'd laugh but it's happened to me too.....how is it that the most secret documents just seem to be the ones held with the loosest grip....SHOCKING...those who fail the security of these documents should be the first to go!!!

mojo

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Good news!

Now get your MSCE's done lad! Once you do you can ask for a payrise as your market value will rise by 10k, it only took me 3 - 4 months to do.

If you want to stay in the technical IT industry, dont bother with college. Look at citrix, its the future and they are paying a lot for it right now. But you will still need the MCSE as a standard.

Jobs come and go, its no biggie. The measure is, how fast can you get another one. With MCSE on your side, you can get one just that little bit faster, and thats what counts.

I sacked off the permie life and went contracting, now thats where the cash is, but it lacks security.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great news Pete, have a wee dram tonight and you can catch up on all that sleep.

Sounds like you could do with a couple of nights under stars too :camping:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Well whiskey is defo on the cards for tonight and i have tomorrow booked off, no chance of a starlight kip tho as tomorrow is my wedding anniversary.
she has a surprise pressie ;D
pete

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Hi Pete,

Pleased your safe. I know how you have been feeling, ive just been through 9 months of not knowing and got the green light 2 days before Xmas. Gotta keep my head down now for the next 18 months as we have another "re-structure" on the horizon!

ATB, Jon.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
s all about qualifications in MCSE and we're getting guys in that have done the book courses but for the life of em never had to re-wire a web farm, doesn't know how to create a patch cable, couldn't setup a switch to save their lives and look at a router with the same sort of blank expression your granddad gets when he buys a new stereo!

Not wrong there mate, been in the game for about 15 years now and gave up on the MCSE route a long itme ago but as i work for my self i can get away with it.
Amazing some of the so called "engineers" these days who cant use a screw driver and have no logical thought process, still they did a course and got a MCPSCEPSPSPCF 2nd......

Now you need to hang on till your missus is sorted and get them to MAKE you redundant. ;)

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
When I was looking for IT people I'd generally take people with experience over qualifications. Both is obviously and advantage though, but I wanted people with enthusiasm, not people who've simply studied their *** off because they're just after the £££. Qualifications don't mean much on their own. A mate of mine passed his MCPs on NT4 as he wanted to go work for his brother who was contracting. He's great at studying to pass exams but can barely switch on a PC let alone be a Sys Admin

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When I was looking for IT people I'd generally take people with experience over qualifications. Both is obviously and advantage though, but I wanted people with enthusiasm, not people who've simply studied their *** off because they're just after the £££. Qualifications don't mean much on their own. A mate of mine passed his MCPs on NT4 as he wanted to go work for his brother who was contracting. He's great at studying to pass exams but can barely switch on a PC let alone be a Sys Admin

So true, I had to help interview for my replacment when I left my previous job as a sysadmin. It was down to 2 candidates, one with experience but no MCSE /MCTIP the other more MSCE then you could shake a stick at. I wanted the the first chap to take my role. The boss just saw qualifactions and went for the 2nd chap. He lasted 2 weeks before he was fired for being incompetent and by then the 1st chap had another job.

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
Sorry to hear that Pete, I work for a small web dev company that has created two redundancies in the past year. It's never encouraging and limits the way you live, particularly anything that requires planning.

Like other people have said, these things often give us the opportunity to change paths in life. I hope and trust that however this goes will work out!

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Offcourse there are fake MCSE's out there. But if they get a job over someone who clearly knows their stuff, thats the employers fault and ultimatly they will pay the price for it. As mentioned above, you need both qualifications and experience. Simply saying "MCSE dosnt mean they are good" in an interview wont land you the job, so having it is definetly an advantage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE