So is Mr Mears on the forum?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Anyone with even half a brain and a business that's got a good name to look after will from time to time do a Google search with their business name as the criteria.
If only to see how well his products/services are being received.

I would be amazed if he didn't look on from time to time.

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
As demographic (and others) have said, it makes sense to search your own name or company name from time-to-time. It's good to learn from feedback (good or bad) and there are other reasons too. For instance, even though there are clear copyright notices on my blog, I've found my articles cut and pasted on other people's websites (with my name still attached to it, which is somewhat bizarre).

To give you guys some insight, while I was at Woodlore, I certainly did search on 'Woodlore' and 'Ray Mears' on this forum, to see what was being said about the courses (I was Course Director so it was another way of getting feedback on what we were doing).

Others in the Woodlore office used to do it more often (and, presumably still do - Hi Di :p) but unless Ray's changed his ways in the last year or so, he doesn't visit himself. At least he never admitted to it in all the time I worked with him. My impression is that he wasn't a fan of online forums. He's also not a fan of social media and I'm sure I'm not the first person to point out that it's obvious Ray has no input in the Woodlore/Ray Mears Blog, Facebook Page or Twitter feed.

And Damian - I hope you've managed to mop-up your laptop OK? :D

All the best,

Paul

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
I've learned many things from what Mr Mears has tried to pass on and I'm very grateful for that, but there is also a vast amount of information on the internet via websites like this one or the videos on youtube that others have taken the time to create to share their knowledge. As we practice, adapt and apply our creativity to our craft, inventing new techniques and relearning some of what has been lost, there will be much more to add in the future to the growing body of knowledge stored on the web and I think it would be a real shame for any of us to miss out on that process.

I'm sure Ray must be lurking here somewhere, probably hiding under his layer of make shift fallen leaf bed linen, chewing a liquorice stick, and eating berries until he's about to go pop. If I were to be lost with anyone, I'd definitely choose the porky wanderer. You've got to be pretty good at survival to live in the woods and keep that podgy!
No offense Mr Mears!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Does it actually matter whether he is or not? He makes his statements about bushcraft, living in the wilds and so on in his books and television programmes. That, in theory, should be enough. Why would he then want to come and be a voice on a forum?

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
I can't help but wonder, if Mr Mears is on this forum, how much amusement is he getting out of this thread? It must be hilarious to hear all of these conspiracy theories about yourself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE