So I tried to make my first spoon!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
And FAILED. Haha. I bought a knife last week I had seen a few of you guys mention it. Its called a mora knife. I only have this knife and no other tools and wondered if thats where Im going wrong with it. Do you need the correct tools for making things such as a spoon?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can make a spoon with nothing more than a Mora ... but having a spoon knife (a curved blade) for the bowl makes it a lot easier!
I made my first spoon just using a SAK and have made others by using an ember to char out the bowl - but a spoon knife is easiest!

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
Also, they have router attachments for X-Acto Knives. I used this to carve a spoon, and I think it turned out pretty well. Also, try cutting cross grain with a spoon knife, you'll find it's more effective.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Also, try cutting cross grain with a spoon knife, you'll find it's more effective.

plus one to this. discovered it by accident.

i roughed out my first two blanks a few months ago with just a pocket knife before I got a spoon knife, in in the end used an electric dremmel tool with a small grind stone to hollow out the bowls because i wanted to get them finished.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Take your time guys you will get there in the end, as there are no pictures I cannot help in the way of info; you could try a flat spoon untill you get the hang of it. Mr Fenna is right you don't need a spoon knife but it does make life easier, and a nice sharp knife.

Here is a video that might help, he shows some useful techniques
[h=3]Carving Swedish Spoons with Peter Follansnbee[/h]
http://video.pbs.org/video/2172740518/

You don't need a axe either but it does help.

Hope this help you out guys.

Dean

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE