So... Hot Sauce.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tasted good to me. Sweetners aren't uncommon in such dishes? G&B 80% is hardly sweet.

True enough. It does come down to taste in the end. And as you say sweeteners aren't uncommon in such recipes. Just need to be aware it's there though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If I recall correctly N. American chocolate isn't like ours though; but more like the the abomination (sorry Santaman2000, no offence intended, but the stuff's truly dire to most of us) known as 'cooking' chocolate/ Scotbloc :yuck: It feels like some kind of sweet greasy wax in the mouth, and nothing like real chocolate.
If you're going to cook with chocolate, use good stuff :D

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If I recall correctly N. American chocolate isn't like ours though; but more like the the abomination (sorry Santaman2000, no offence intended, but the stuff's truly dire to most of us) known as 'cooking' chocolate/ Scotbloc :yuck: It feels like some kind of sweet greasy wax in the mouth, and nothing like real chocolate.
If you're going to cook with chocolate, use good stuff :D

cheers,
Toddy

There's actually 3 types of chocolate over here Mary:

1) Ordinary milk chocolate bars are pretty much the same as yours and are primarily for eating. Chocolate chips are also made of this chocolate and are dropped into things like cookie batter before baking.

2) Semi swwet (or dark chocolate) is slightly less sweet, more chocoaltey (if that's a real word) and resists melting in the sun better. It's also usually for eating.

3) Bakers Chocolate (which I suspect is what you're describing) is usually completely unsweetened and comes in a large block (comparitively) and is reserved for serious cooking.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think your Baker's chocolate isn't like our cooking chocolate then; the one sold here is very sweet. Not nice stuff :sigh:

Our milk chocolate is usually for sweeties. Galaxy and Lindt are pretty good though :) Chocolate drops for baking with are inclined to be much the same as the chocolate in bars, though those of us who made mignardes use good chocolate, rich in cocoa butter rather than the commercially made drops.

Semi sweet I think is more like our bournville stuff. S'okay, but is beaten hands down by better ones :)

The American chocolate bars that I was given (an in-law married an American serviceman at the end of the war and emigrated) were like our cooking chocolate, and not very good. Babe something or other, iirc.

Anyway :) back to hot sauce :) I'm quite fond of the sweet chilli sauces, tasty and not just fire :D and really easy to make too.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....The American chocolate bars that I was given (an in-law married an American serviceman at the end of the war and emigrated) were like our cooking chocolate, and not very good. Babe something or other, iirc....

"Babe something or another..." sounds like maybe a Babe Ruth bar? It's not actually a chocolate bar pers se but a candy bar with chocoalte as one component. Out normal "chocolate bar" as such is a Hershey bar; sometimes plain, sometimes with almonds.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm about 10 years into a bottle of Dave's Insanity, and at the current rate of consumption it should see the decade out.

Linghams was excellent until it became popular: then they changed the recipe for the worse. Mostly use Encona sweet chilli sauce these days.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No particular brand, I was in Mexico this year and tried all sorts, chipotle was the best, I think its kind of the classy choice, the flavour and chilli are spot on. Its perfect for allot of things!! including chocolate brownies!!

Do you have a brand you recomend, I would be keen to top up my reserves!!

Tobasco does Chipotle as one of their varieties. That said I don't know that they're neccessarily any better than the rest; just a mite easier to source.

No particular brand, I was in Mexico this year and tried all sorts, chipotle was the best, I think its kind of the classy choice, the flavour and chilli are spot on. Its perfect for allot of things!! including chocolate brownies!!

Do you have a brand you recomend, I would be keen to top up my reserves!!

I loved the chipotle in Mexico. Would have it with every meal given the chance. The Tabasco Chipotle is nice, but if you've had the real deal kinda misses the mark.

Windy

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I never knew they did it! thanks for that tip santaman! My the end is in sight for my mexican holiday imports i am afraid, its a great ingredient as well as a general condiment so it goes quickly!

I used to love the strong stuff, the different flavours etc, but there comes an age where you appreciate quality, and chipottle is that for me!!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
  1. Yep: www.tabascofoodservice.com/about_chip.cfm

Sorry the link is to a commercial food service site but it's the only one I could link. The grocery stores carry it (and the green Tabasco, and both the green and red pepper jellies) over here. And although I cain't link it, Amazon carries it.

You might want to go to tabasco's official site and peruse there products.

Last edited:
so.... BR....you like it hot?
THIS will blow your mind and then some!!! :eek:
Use with EXTREME caution... no kidding - said to be 900 times hotter than the hottest
Try at your peril!

I have removed half and replaced the volume with oil and just use the oil- like one drop is almost too much!
This Chili sauce makes the Sahara's midday sun feel cold!

Tried it, all I can say is thankfully I had 4 pints of milk to down, I like my heat but that melted a plastic spoon. That sauce is 800,000 Scoville!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE