So did anyone else feel the boom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Windows were rocking in Coventry earlier. Initially an earthquake was blamed but the MOD later confirmed a pair of scrambled jets had caused a sonic boom. I dont know what altitude they were at but those babies make an awfully big bang. Anyone else feel it?

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Well, needless to say I didnt feel it in Wales, but a TOrnado pilot did that over my hometown when I was in school one afternoon. Apparently shattered some windows right under where he did it, lost his pilots licence as a result (I'm not sure how much of the shattered windows/pilots licence was teenage schoolyard hearsay though!)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting. Didn't know about that but the Typhoons were hellish busy here yesterday - several pairs going at a heck of a lick - unusual these days to see so much activity

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Interesting. Didn't know about that but the Typhoons were hellish busy here yesterday - several pairs going at a heck of a lick - unusual these days to see so much activity

They are training for defence work over the Olympic fortnight

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk...rity-Olympic/story-15122831-detail/story.html

TYPHOON Fighter jets based at RAF Coningsby will be helping the security efforts at this year's Olympic Games.
Royal Air Force and Royal Navy pilots were put through their paces last week in an exercise to show how they will be supporting the police-led London 2012 security effort.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Anyone else feel it?

Ho Yuss!

a1046307-38-Churchill dog.jpg

Typhoon goes sonic ~ link.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Makes sense. Churlish pilots though. The last lot used to fly stunts over the paddocks when we waved to them :)

Fly Past by British Red, on Flickr

Fly Past by British Red, on Flickr

Maybe they were told to pay for any excesses

When you consider the costs of the birds in the air

Search for "capitation rates" on the Defence Intranet and you will get the info you are looking for. There are two tables - Full and Marginal costs. I am no expert but I believe that maginal costs are effectively fuel and consumables and full costs cover everything inc depreciation. Hourly figures for 09-10 for the platforms you mentioned:

Typhoon - Full £68716 Marginal £3780
Harrier - Full £35762 Marginal £3945
C-130 J - Full £11587 Marginal £1888
C-130K - Full £9924 Marginal £2132
C-17 - Full £42068 Marginal £4870

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
It was pretty loud here in north east Gloucestershire. Brought the cats in for tea in record time too! :lmao:

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Was this at 1817?

Yes, I heard it.

Why Tornadoes as Olympic security?

Its not like theres going to be a private army event.

If there is, can we get in a late entry?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Typhoons are the dogs danglies for air superiority, and will no doubt have clearance to remove any airborne threat posed to the event. Air to Air missiles will make short work of an airliner/small aircraft flying in a manner to be treated as a threat.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, so its now a private air force event?

No way we can compete. I sold all my RC planes years ago.

(Some day I will bore you with what I did with that RC destroyer...)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
(Some day I will bore you with what I did with that RC destroyer...)

Please don't feel obliged too;)

RAF in the skies, Royal Marines Commando's on the Thames and Soldiers in the streets, hopefully they will be stood down all the time, lert's hope so anyway.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah. Unfortunately anywhere a large crowd gathers such as at the Olympics it makes a high profile target for terrorists. sad times we live in. Especially when you consider that there was a time the world would call wars to a truce for the Olympics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE