Did anyone else go to the National Living History Fayre this weekend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Saw this event advertised last week, first time in ages I've seen an interesting event BEFORE it's passed by! Thought I'd go and check it out.

Not strictly speaking a bushcraft event, much more about re-enacting and LARP'ing with a bit of steampunk/Victoriana thrown in, but plenty of craftsmen on show with some lovely things. Wood carvers, hand forged knives and swords, hand made bows (oh the bows!!) and the big draw for me; leather working stalls and supplies. Having developed something of an obsession with getting into leather craft in recent times I thought it would be a great place to see/ hold/ feel some tools and leather stock before I buy. I was not disappointed!

I spent far too much money and came home with a whole bunch of bits, but also with a whole lot of inspiration and excitement for projects and ideas.

I've decided to just get stuck in with some bigger projects, I've no doubt they will be steep learning curves and they won't turn out perfect, but they will be my mistakes, not someone else's (like the bag I bought recently through eBay). Part of my personal journey in learning a new skill, not a cheap knock off that someone didn't care about.
Next project will be my version of the afore mentioned satchel/ messenger bag. Then I'd like to make a canvas/ leather day pack similar to Kearne's and Mr Fenna's fine work. I've sketched some designs stealing ideas from both threads as well as closely looking at the Frost River Isle Royale. I need to source some canvas now, but I'm aiming high! I like to test myself! I figure as long as I go slowly and methodically, spending the time to think about each stage and plan well, I should be able to turn out something I'm satisfied with. Although I'm my own worst critic!!

Anyway, I digress. This show was great for an inspiration boost, and now I feel a bit more equipped too. Did anyone else go? What did you think if you did?

I'll get some pics up later once they've uploaded to my PB account.

Cheers,

James

Last edited:

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Some pics:

American Civil war stuff

This stall was basically an ancient jumble sale!

The stall where all my money seemed to disappear!

Lots of Viking/ Norse stuff there on various stalls:

Shoes and boots and pointy things:

I could've spent a fortune on this stall! Oh the bows! so beautiful and some of them were so unique (read higgledy piggledy!) it must've taken a master bowyer to 'find the bow' in some of the staves they used.

don't forget your arrows!

Some LARP orientated stuff, foam swords, fantasy styles etc..

And some more authentic bits

These do not look friendly! The real deal too, no foam here

Amazing medieval recipe cakes and biscuits. Apricot, cardamom, honey, thyme all featuring in various combos. We went back for seconds! ok, thirds!

Nice leather stall

Some lovely wooden pieces here, the big ladles on the back wall particularly impressive. Also the guy who made them was a very kind stall holder who gave my son one of the little carved owls you see on the edge of the table in the first pic, free of charge just because my lad took a shine to it!

So here's where I went a bit mad! Picked up some tools, dye, copper rivets and a setter, some consumables like dawbers and some thong.

Then I bought some leather bits......

The bits on the right half are a selection of sheepskin and 1.5mm veg tan cow, either off cuts or have small damage areas, but plenty to work with for pouches and even parts of my satchel project. The reason I love shows like this are they were all individually priced, I chose a few bits and the guy round it all down by a bout 4 quid to an even £20. Then threw in the black bit or free because I'd bought 'a lot'.

This bit is almost flawless (the pale spots in the pics are from the camera lens) its 3.5-4mm thick and about 4'x3.5' in area. It's just beautiful, and perfect for my satchel project. I couldn't resist it!

I got it from the same stall I got the tools and dyes from and again was able to get a knock down price for being a 'good customer'!

Picked up some bits of antler too, £10 the lot. I'll cut the long one off at the coronet as the 'long half' has 'bow drill' written all over it I reckon. Yet another project I've been wanting to make for a while, now I've found the right materials! I'll make knife handles or toggles out of the rest.

Finally this little guy I couldn't resist either ( I have no will power for these things!). A lovely handmade blade, perfect for skinning or having as a neck knife for those 'little jobs'.

Think that about sums it up! Phew.

James

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I love going to the fayres :D
Always something interesting to see, always craftsfolks happy to talk about what they make, what they use, why and wherefore and when and how :D

There's another one that Decorum organises a Meet up at Rough Close to coincide. It's also very much worth a look :D

Thank you for taking and posting the photos; they really do show some of the scope of the whole thing :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
No probs Toddy, this is only really a small fraction of the whole show. Maybe only 15% of everything that was there!

You're not wrong Tengu! My wallet is still groaning, but at least it's lighter to carry around now!

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Thanks for the tip Monarch, although if I go to another one so soon I fear I may be putting myself firmly into the the dog house! I heard someone mention TORM actually, is it good?

Apparently the NLHF now one in the North West of England now too later in the year, much more convenient for me on The Wirral! Having also expanded to do one in Bristol this year too it seems like we're never far from one at some point of the year or another.

This could get dangerous!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE