So apparently i can't learn just from videos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Starting off as a pure city boy with no bushcrafty skills i've been at a disadvantage in this game. I did my time in the TA and learnt some outdoorsy/camping skills that have stayed with me, but trying to take the next step and learn bushcraft off of the internet isn't working for me. I've admitted this to myself after spending yet another 20 minutes trying to sharpen a hatchet to finish with it feeling exactly the same as when i started. The same thing happens with knives as well. I think i'm doing exactly what all the bushcraft books and youtube videos i've seen say i should be doing, but no result. I can get it to the point people would say it was sharp if it wasn't a blade edge - if it was a stray piece of metal people would say it was wickedly sharp - but for an actual blade it's pretty dull. It tears paper rather than cuts it. My results with fire starting have been very poor as well.

Anyone or any groups in the London region want to take pity on me? Apparently watching a video just isn't going to teach me no matter how long i spend staring at it.

:surrender:

Mar 27, 2014
Wirral
Your skill level sounds remarkably similar to mine lol But don't be too hard on yourself as with anything it takes time and practice. I think videos can be helpful to a point and I've picked up a few things from them, what they can't do is tell you were you are going wrong. I've found it useful to watch a few videos by different people on the same subject and combining what they are saying.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Why not come along to the Suffolk group meeting, you would be very welcome. We do skill shares every month, and someone would be more than happy to show you the ropes.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As Colin says have a look at the Suffolk Group,

I am afraid I have to agree that you cant learn how to do things from a Video/book/You Tube, OK for an idea but doing it is the best way being shown and helped by those who have/are really doing it. and in a place that you can do things over and over again, there is also a lot of rubbish on YouTube and filtering it out from some of the really good advice can be a huge task ....

have a look see what you think and say hi to the group

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Vids are good once you have a basic understanding of what to do and can adjust techniques to suit your needs, but for absolute beginners there is no replacement for being shown how to do things and where you are going wrong.

Demonwolf444

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Ripon, North Yorkshire
bushcraft is a funny sort of thing. Chances are you will never need it but when you do its pleasing to be able to show off. I spend a lot of time outdoors, mostly shooting, and am a full blown country boy, i can sharpen an axe to a useable edge, and a knife to a shaving edge, and light a fire and do other sort of bushcrafty things when necessary, but they all take me a while.

Its awesome to see an expert at work though, i have friend who lives and breathes bushcraft, in the time it takes for him to turn around he has a fire going and pine needle tea brewing. How is he so good? he practices all the time, he goes to the woods and camps for a couple of days just because he can. ( he camps light also! )

If you cant do that in london, if you have a garden or reasonable access to somewhere with some privacy, take a knife and a flint and steel and make your self stay in one place for 24 hours or even 12 hours. Its a long time to kill with nothing to do, so its a good time to find different ways to practice your skills. You could carve some food utensils, chopping board, fork, spoon. Have a bushcrafty mindset, when you see junk on the street think or different things that could be made from it, like a coke can into a stove, or a simple double boiler. You don't need to be out in the middle of the woods to practice, you can be in your garden, patio, or even balcony if that's all you have.

There is nothing practice can not teach you.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's a bit of an ego blow because i always assumed it was just a matter of practice, but if i don't know where i'm going wrong to begin with it becomes so much harder to try and get a result.

Why not come along to the Suffolk group meeting, you would be very welcome. We do skill shares every month, and someone would be more than happy to show you the ropes.

When/where is it? If i have the time and funds i'd be interested.

What part of London are you based?

Central. Know of any groups round here?

You don't need to be out in the middle of the woods to practice, you can be in your garden, patio, or even balcony if that's all you have.

There is nothing practice can not teach you.

I appreciate the attempt to pep talk me, but i have to disagree. Just repeatedly practising something that - as far as i know - i could be doing completely wrong, will never improve my actual skills. I'm not unskilled or unwilling, i've worked with my hands before and i'm always willing to have a bash at projects, but learning from someone who knows what they're doing is always easier than self teaching.

I saw this post last night and as well as the advice about a local group if you really want to kick start your bushcraft skills, knowledge and circle of contacts and associates why not get yourself along to the Moot if you can
http://www.bushmoot.com/

£160 is more than i have going spare at the moment i'm afraid.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Don't be disheartened at least you acknowledge that this is the case, in all walks of life these days we meet the Youtube graduate and Google genius, righteously convinced they are proficient in whatever field they have watched a 100 videos on and you can't tell them nothing as their wisdom cup is overflowing with what they 'know'.

Like yourself i much prefer to learn from others directly and in that fashion i pick up quick, watching the vids can give a good idea of how and when etc but being shown real technique and constructive critique on our attempts from our peers is a great learning curve to be on, good luck the Suffolk meeting sound a great place to learn especially with an open offer of help and a welcome invite like the opportunity you have been offered

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
good luck the Suffolk meeting sound a great place to learn especially with an open offer of help and a welcome invite like the opportunity you have been offered

We like to think we welcome any one that fancy's coming to a monthly meet or any of our events, we also hope they go away thinking it was worth coming, we can not always guarantee to that everyone will pick up loads of skills from us, but we like to think everyone can learn something from everyone they meet :)

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Couldn't sharpen a knife either. Following youtube didn't work. 2 mins being shown by someone else and I am sorted now. But 5 years down the line though. Get to a meet or go on course!

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Books, videos are great introduction to any subject but mentor ship and guided practice lets you adjust your technique. Makes for a better inter active exchange and fellowship. Don't forget to give tobacco.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Look here.. this is Aprils meet.. next weekend , but we meet every month :), also have a look at the Facebook page in my signature

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119530

Awesome. I won't make it this weekend, but i'll definitely pencil in a weekend soon. :D

Don't be disheartened at least you acknowledge that this is the case, in all walks of life these days we meet the Youtube graduate and Google genius, righteously convinced they are proficient in whatever field they have watched a 100 videos on and you can't tell them nothing as their wisdom cup is overflowing with what they 'know'.

Like yourself i much prefer to learn from others directly and in that fashion i pick up quick, watching the vids can give a good idea of how and when etc but being shown real technique and constructive critique on our attempts from our peers is a great learning curve to be on, good luck the Suffolk meeting sound a great place to learn especially with an open offer of help and a welcome invite like the opportunity you have been offered

Thanks, and i'm thankful for all the offers of help being made. I think once you have some basic skill in a subject then watching others demonstrate can be a lot more useful than just watching, and then scratching my head when i can't quite get it.

Couldn't sharpen a knife either. Following youtube didn't work. 2 mins being shown by someone else and I am sorted now. But 5 years down the line though. Get to a meet or go on course!

Books, videos are great introduction to any subject but mentor ship and guided practice lets you adjust your technique. Makes for a better inter active exchange and fellowship. Don't forget to give tobacco.

I agree and am well up for it. Dunno about the tobacco thing, i'm a non-smoker. I'm sure i could rustle up a few beers though.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I was a city boy growing up in South London and also in the TA for quite some years up until I left 4 years ago, in that time I learnt quite a bit about Survival and living off the land, books and videos are good as a learning tool but to get out in the great outdoors for the practical skills is the best way to learn, the first book I had was called 'No Need To Die' by the late Eddie Mcgee and the 'SAS Survival' by John 'Lofty' Wiseman both books are good learning tools....Read how to do it! and get out there and practice, the problem I found living in South London was finding a place to practice the skills that you have learnt, I will admit thats not easy.....try and find a group that has the same interests as yourself and go away for weekends wild camping and you can put your skills into practice.

When it comes to books on survival and bushcraft there are so many to choose from on the survival side of things I use the two books I have already mentioned, when it comes to bushcraft I look to Ray Mears and Lars Fait.

The other option is to book on to a 5 day beginners to advance course with Trueways Survival which is owned by John 'Lofty' Wiseman, over the 5 days you will learn the basics from fire lighting, shelter, water, food, navigation, making fishing nets and snares and many more things and for quite a reasonable price, I booked my two Sons on the course last year and they thought it was great! now the three of us have weekends away doing bushcrafty things, as they say practice makes perfect! I now live on the South Coast where there are plenty of places to go and practice.

Good Luck

Backpacker

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
You are welcome to come along to the Kent group too, Ashford Int is just 37 minutes by train from St Pancras. We're still getting the group established with a really good mix of skill levels.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE