Snugpak jacket advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hello all, I know it's only June but I'm already looking ahead to camping when it's cold next winter. My birthday is at the end of July and I get a bit of scrilla so I'm trying to decide what jacket to get to keep warm. If I leave it until it's cold my money will already be spunked on Christmas and car tax etc.

I own some warm jackets from living in Canada, but I'm finding my trusty Carhartt and the like a bit too chunky and heavy when wearing a backpack and sitting around...

Does anyone have a Snugpak Ebony, if so what do you think? I couldn't find any reviews on them. Or would I be better off with a Softie Elite or similar with a lighter outer jacket? None of them look particularly robust for wearing whilst walking through trees, but I can wear a wool outer layer if need be. I know they're made with the forces in mind but Snugpak's look like they'd tear on branches.

If anyone could give me sound advice based on personal use I'd really appreciate it! I don't want to spend money until I'm sure it's a good idea. Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but I couldn't find it if it has. If anyone can recommend something similar in the same price range I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance! Cheers, Chad

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I had the Sleeka jacket for years and loved it. I used to wear mine under a combat jacket in cold weather, or over the top of a combat jacket when we stopped for a quick brew up.

As you say, they are not the most robust jacket, & I did in fact tear mine a few times.

I still swear by Snugpak gear though - I have a pile jacket, sleeping bag & hamock quilt / underblanket combo made by them, all of which take some abuse.

HTH

Simon

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi sash
Having never owed an alpkit jacket I would find it hard to compare anything to it.
but I do have to agree with shewie on the buffalo stuff.
I have had a buffalo mountain shirt for over a decade now
with only one problem they seem to shrink round the waste over time or is it my expanding waste line

LOL
bob

Canadian Guy

Sep 29, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I have 3 Snugpak jackets; the Pile Elite, the Sleeka Elite and the Ebony jacket which you are inquiring about. Each of the 3 are different and would be better suited for different weather conditions and uses. I am in the Canadian Forces Reserve Army (25 years so far) and have "substituted" some issue kit for the different Snugpak jackets mainly as they are light, very compressible, warm, windproof, water resisitant, durable and come in OD colour. I will quickly review each jacket:
Ebony jacket: Great for serious cold, I wore it as a "base camp jacket" last March up in an Arctic Operation and I was comfortable standing around outside with it on when it was in the -40 to -45 celcius range (without wind chill). I had a thin baselayer and light thermal issue long underwear on under it. I like the flap that covers the zipper, the microfleece lining around the neck and the detachable hood although I used it up North! It was light and compressible which made packing in a ruck good when you need to keep it light as possible.
Pile Elite jacket:Very warm and I also wore it during the same Arctic Op but when on the move and under the CF issue Parka shell (I removed the heavy issue parka liner). It was also in the low -40's but while moving I was absolutely perfect in it, very windproof and has good ventilation zippers on the sides. Not as light or compressible but the pile & pertex combonation is good when you don't have the ability to don or ditch layers, it really does carry moisture away from you to the outer jacket as claimed. I've worn it in -10ish temps and it gets very warm when moving, you need to ventilate.
Sleeka Elite: Very light and compressible, good to -10?. Good under a combat jacket like SimonM says. An Infantrymans best friend. Extra reinforcment on underside of arms and shoulders.
All 3 are made of Pertex which I have not tore yet and I'm in the Infantry so they have been put to the test, I would highly recommend all 3 jackets.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks for the info guys, I'm still not sure what to get, there are so many options! I like the idea of Snugpak being made in the UK and they do look warm with the fill. On the other hand, that Buffalo spec 6 shirt looks nice as well...is the comfort rating in a similar temperature zone Shewie? Not that it gets very cold in the UK but as I said I want something warm without the bulk especially when sitting around, and all these look more than capable! Fortunately I've got time to have a look at all the options.

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
Now is prime buy-cheap-winter-clothes-on-ebay season. Last summer I picked up a Rab jacket for under £50.

Enter Snugpak or Rab or whatever, then specify 'auctions only' and see if anything comes up.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Now is prime buy-cheap-winter-clothes-on-ebay season. Last summer I picked up a Rab jacket for under £50.

Enter Snugpak or Rab or whatever, then specify 'auctions only' and see if anything comes up.

I'll second that advice.

I've just picked up a pair of Softie bivvy trousers for under a tenner....bargain:D

Simon

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Thanks for the info guys, I'm still not sure what to get, there are so many options! I like the idea of Snugpak being made in the UK and they do look warm with the fill. On the other hand, that Buffalo spec 6 shirt looks nice as well...is the comfort rating in a similar temperature zone Shewie? .

I've got both the Snugpak Softie and the Special 6 shirt.
Up here, it doesn't get really cold, probably the lowest I've been out in is -12ºC which is about 10ºF for us older guys.

The Snugpak jacket is excellent for shrugging on as a warmup - and when it's chilly, I'll zip it into my Lowe Alpine jacket - I don't find it windproof, hardly at all. It will compress to a lot smaller. I think -10ºC would be generous... Ideal for late night exits from the hammock :)

The Special 6 I find almost unwearable unless it's 0ºC if you're walking, as even at 5C with ventilation I get too warm; if you're moving, it's pretty darn fine, having worn in it strong winds with snow driving at me, often. If you're stationary, you will cool down. It doesn't compress at all well.

Currently, if I going to be out in cold/wet (I'm in a CG SAR team) I'll wear Brynje string ls vest and LJ, and normal gear; if it's really extreme, merino over that. But you would need to be *well* below freezing for that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE